(SOLVED) - Mover Confusion

JP

I'm completely new to using Mover and thought I understood, but something doesn't appear right.  To test Mover I decided to create a new share called, "Test."  I changed "Use Cache Pool" to YES and "Select cache pool" to CACHE.  I changed "Minimum Free Space" to 50 GB.  There is 450 GB free on the cache drive.   I left everything else at default.  

I thought this would tell UNRAID to put everything I copy into the TEST share onto the Cache drive first.  However, it doesn't appear to have done that.  The file I copy with is still getting put on the array when I attempt to put it in the TEST share.  Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? 

Edited by JP
SOLVED
2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Config looks fine to me, how are you copying to the share?

Just copying in Windows from the desktop to the TEST folder / share. I’ve tried 4 Gig files and small files. They all just save to the array. I’ve tried deleting the share and recreating it as well as multiple reboots on the server. The issue remains. Weird. 

Edited by JP
9 hours ago, Squid said:

Not that it's related to your problem, but 

powerdown-x86_64.plg - 2015.05.17a

This plugin is long deprecated (and included in the base OS), and should be removed.

Thanks for letting me know Squid.  Done.

If anyone else can think of why files won't go to my cache drive even though I tell the Share to do so, please let me know.  This one has me stumped since I think I followed the directions perfectly.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You have disk shares enables, are you sure you're copying to the user share?

I'm pretty sure I am.  Here is all I am really doing.  I'm creating the user share with the criteria I listed before.  I give it a unique name like TEST or TESTING.  Then I go to File Explorer in Windows and type in \\{ip address of TOWER} and all my disk shares (DISK 1, DISK 2, etc.), user shares (including the one I just created called TEST), flash and cache drive, show up.  I then just take a file and copy it to the newly created user share (i.e. TEST) and watch the UNRAID GUI for activity.  The file(s) always go directly to the array and never the cache drive.

I've done these tests repetitively, changing the criteria and user share name and there is nothing I can seem to do to get any size file to be saved to the cache first from a user share.  I can of course save to the cache just fine by saving a file directly there.  I have done multiple server reboots as well just to give myself a clean slate.  Very confusing.   

5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Missed the problem earlier, global cache share is disable:

shareCacheEnabled="no"

There's a bug and if this is disable before updating to v6.9.x it can't be enabled using the GUI, you need to manually edit config/share.cfg and change that to yes, then reboot.

Some success!

Once I made the change you recommended and started up the server I noticed some things I didn't really expect.  That is, all the folders I had residing on the cache now became user shares.  I guess by default these are now flagged to eventually be moved to the array so this is why UNRAID made the shares for them.  For these folders that I only want on the cache and to never be moved, I suspect I need to change the USER CACHE POOL to ONLY.  I think that is right.  

Also, to get files to move at all to the cache I had to stop the array and then go into cache settings and change MINIMUM FREE SPACE from some number that was in there to 0.  They do appear to go directly to the cache when the number is 0, but if I followed the directions it didn't seem to work.  When you click on the question mark near this field it states: 

This defines a "floor" for the amount of free space remaining in the volume. If the free space becomes less than this value, then new files written via user shares will fail with "not enough space" error. 

Enter a numeric value with one of these suffixes:

KB = 1,000
MB = 1,000,000
GB = 1,000,000,000
TB = 1,000,000,000,000
K = 1,024 (ie, 2^10)
M = 1,048,576 (ie, 2^20)
G = 1,073,741,824 (ie, 2^30)
T = 1,099,511,627,776 (ie, 2^40)

If no suffix, a count of 1024-byte blocks is assumed.

I tried reflecting 30 GB as my "floor" and writing out the zeros didn't seem to work so I tried just reflecting "30 GB" and that did seem to take.  I guess that is accurate for what I'm trying to reflect.  

So I guess all that is left for me to do is update the settings on all these new shares that popped up.  If I just want to continue having them on the CACHE then I can change USE CACHE POOL to ONLY and that should keep them only on the cache.  

Once I feel a bit more comfortable with the settings, I'll then change some of my larger shares (like Movies or TV Shows) over to USE CACHE POOL:  YES.  This should take any new files or folders that are created on the share to first be put to the cache drive and then later brought over to the array once MOVER runs.  I my logic is right here.  

17 minutes ago, JP said:

That is, all the folders I had residing on the cache now became user shares.

That is normal, for any array or pool disk, user shares are just top level folders.

18 minutes ago, JP said:

lso, to get files to move at all to the cache I had to stop the array and then go into cache settings and change MINIMUM FREE SPACE from some number that was in there to 0.

That's not needed for that, but it should be set to twice the file size you expect to copy to that share.

• Like 1
  • JP changed the title to (SOLVED) - Mover Confusion