Pull a Data Disk from the array without a rebuild?

I remember reading somewhere that if you remove all the data from a Data Drive and remove it from the array. you don't need to rebuild the array.

How do you do that? can you do that? my disk9 has failed so i've pulled all the Data off it and want to remove it from the array as a Data Drive i don't want to replace it.

Upgrading to 8TB drives so collapsing how many disks are in my array.

I just can't work out how to pull the disk without a rebuild being needed?

image.thumb.png.2a2c6be08098e900e1d78fb57e55ffd1.png

46 minutes ago, Maticks said:

I remember reading somewhere that if you remove all the data from a Data Drive and remove it from the array. you don't need to rebuild the array.

Close, but not correct. You have to write zeros to the entire capacity of the drive, which is WAY more time consuming. It's faster to rebuild parity.

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Maticks said:

This only works on good drives from the manuals said, unless someone found a way around that.

**This method can only be used if the drive to be removed is a good drive that is completely empty, is mounted and can be completely cleared without errors occurring**

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Removing_data_disk.28s.29

54 minutes ago, Docshaker said:

This only works on good drives from the manuals said, unless someone found a way around that.

Technically it can be used on an emulated drive, but there is no benefit and significant unprotected time penalty to zeroing an emulated drive, as it would be quicker to either rebuild to a new drive if there is needed data on the emulated drive or rebuilding parity if there is no need to save the emulated slot data.

Your first priority with a failed drive should be to get back to a protected state ASAP.