Upgrade killed cache disk

I was at 6.8.3 and upgraded to 6.9.2 and when it booted the cache disk only had one present of my 2 disk pool. It could not mount because of this. I could see the other disk in the unassigned devices and I could mount it and see the files fine.  If I unassigned the disk that it did see as a cache disk, I could mount that in unassigned devices as well and see the data. So it appeared to be ok. If I tried to put them both back it threatened it was going to overwrite the one it didn’t recognize.  In a panic I reverted to 6.8.3 and it didn’t have any cache disk on reboot. The good news is I could add them both back and start the array without the overwrite warning and I am good now except a “too many profiles” warning.  

any advice on how to get that error message fixed (array seems good), and safely upgrade without losing my cache disk pool again?

Thanks,

timbiotic

Edited by Timbiotic
Confusing wording

Can't say why one the pool devices was unassigned, especially without diags, but if it happens again you can do this:

If Docker/VM services are using the cache pool disable them, unassign all cache devices, start array to make Unraid "forget" current cache config, stop array, reassign all cache devices (there can't be an "All existing data on this device will be OVERWRITTEN when array is Started" warning for any cache device), re-enable Docker/VMs if needed, start array.

Thanks again, so i balanced to single, upgraded to latest, rebooted.  The cache disk was gone.  But this time i was able to create it new and no overwrite warning. It started and looks good, but the "too many profiles warning" is back.  Does this auto balance on first startup or do i need to run another balance now?

Just now, Timbiotic said:

i ran balance twice now and each time when it is complete is still has "no balance found on '/mnt/cache/"  is that normal?  While it is running there is a status bar there.  How can i tell myself if the pool is healthy now?

Yes - that is the standard message if there is not a balance currently running.