Is the i5-11500 supported out of the box yet?

Hi all, I am new to unraid and looking to build a new Plex server using the i5-11500 and using unraid on it.

I found a video that stated that hardware acceleration wasn't supported by unraid during early April.

I also found two threads, this one and also this one, that discussed some issues with this CPU and getting it to work properly in unraid.

Could I get a confirmation that this CPU is now fully supported out-of-the-box without any kernel or boot tweaks to get the iGPU/quicksync features to work? Are those aforementioned issues resolved?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Support is out of the box in 6.9.2 its just that 11th Gen support has to be enabled in the i915 driver included with the kernel level 6.9.2 supports.

thats all the force probe entry is doing.

just add force_probe=4c8a to you syslinux line. You may need to change the last 4 characters to match your GPU, lspci | grep VGA.

Also install intel gpu top plugin.

Thanks for your response Simon, that should be helpful for when I purchase the CPU.

36 minutes ago, SimonF said:

lspci | grep VGA

I ran this on my current Fedora computer and it gave results in a different structure. It looks like "0.02.0" for my VGA item in the lspci list. I am probably running an old kernel version, but will I see a different output when doing it in unraid?

11 minutes ago, cybersteel8 said:

Thanks for your response Simon, that should be helpful for when I purchase the CPU.

I ran this on my current Fedora computer and it gave results in a different structure. It looks like "0.02.0" for my VGA item in the lspci list. I am probably running an old kernel version, but will I see a different output when doing it in unraid?

I dont have a 11th Gen

but my lspci  00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 9ba8 (rev 03) is my igpu. its the part in yellow you need.

4 minutes ago, SimonF said:

I dont have a 11th Gen

but my lspci  00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 9ba8 (rev 03) is my igpu. its the part in yellow you need.

Oh that's weird, mine looks different!

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

This is for my Fedora machine, it's got an i5-4460 in it. I don't know why it says Xeon E3-1200 🤨

I am going to guess this will show differently when I pick up the new CPU. Let's assume it will be normal and what you suggested will work :D I'll post here in a week or so if it doesn't!

Edited by cybersteel8
14 hours ago, cybersteel8 said:

Oh that's weird, mine looks different!

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

This is for my Fedora machine, it's got an i5-4460 in it. I don't know why it says Xeon E3-1200 🤨

I am going to guess this will show differently when I pick up the new CPU. Let's assume it will be normal and what you suggested will work :D I'll post here in a week or so if it doesn't!

Plugin intel-gpu-top now enables igpu on 11th gen so you just need to install when you get new cpu

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2021 at 8:19 PM, eyeonly said:

Hi everyone,

I am planning to upgrade my current unraid server from i5 6500 to 11th or 10th generation.

May i have an update on this topic? Can 11th Intel cpu, i5 11400 iGPU work well on unraid? 

QuiackSync is very imporant on my Plex

Hey mate, yeah, I got QuickSync to work perfectly fine with my i5-11500
I did need to install the intel_gpu_top app from the Community Applications plugin to get QuickSync to work.

I also had to pass the /dev/dri directory to the Plex docker container as well. Check out the instructions regarding that docker path variable here: 

1 hour ago, arturovf said:

No, support it's not perfect yet, 4k HDR to SDR tone mapping is not working well (green artifacts). 

I am indeed having trouble with HDR to SDR tone mapping (the transcoder is failing completely), but QuickSync is indeed working when doing SDR content, both 4K and 1080p. The gpu driver is being forwarded to Plex and Plex's transcoder is indeed hardware accelerated.

If you experience any problems with HDR transcoding, turn off HDR Tone Mapping in your Plex Settings > Transcoder section.

On 8/2/2021 at 12:10 AM, cybersteel8 said:

I am indeed having trouble with HDR to SDR tone mapping (the transcoder is failing completely), but QuickSync is indeed working when doing SDR content, both 4K and 1080p. The gpu driver is being forwarded to Plex and Plex's transcoder is indeed hardware accelerated.

If you experience any problems with HDR transcoding, turn off HDR Tone Mapping in your Plex Settings > Transcoder section.

Well yes disabling HDR tone mapping is a workaround, but then you can't do several 4k to sdr transcodes because cpu can't cope it :/

8 hours ago, arturovf said:

Well yes disabling HDR tone mapping is a workaround, but then you can't do several 4k to sdr transcodes because cpu can't cope it :/

Indeed. Though, I think I need to point out that this is a Plex issue, not an Unraid one. This thread was started and bumped because of Unraid's support for this CPU. It supports it and hardware acceleration is available for Plex.