Parity Check Incident

Hi everyone,

I have an array of 5 discs (1x Parity, 4x Data). During the last parity check one of the data drives got almost 2000 Error. Rest of the data discs had 75 errors each too. So the „problematic“ data drive has been disabled. I downloaded the diagnostics (see attached) and restarted the server (don’t know why actually).

After that I started the array in maintanance mode,  started a read check of the array and did short and long smart test of the problematic drive. Everything seems fine, except an additional UDMA CRC error count of 1.

Guess this is due a faulty SATA Cable, which I have replaced already.

Now I’m not sure what to do next and how? Or better question: Are there any more options than rebuild the array?

And if I no, what are the step to rebuild the array with the "problematic" drive?

Sorry for asking this basic question. Its my first serious incident with unraid and I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Please find the diagnostics attachted. Thank for your help. Much appreciated.

nas-diagnostics-20210614-1406.zip

Looks like the not so uncommon Ryzen onboard SATA controller problem, if the emulated disk is mounting and contents look correct you can rebuild on top, BIOS update might help this not occurring in the future, if it doesn't best bet is to use an ad-don controller (or a different board).

Thank you for this hint. I'll updated the bios just 2 weeks ago, but I keep an eye on this.

Regarding my other issue of rebuilding in case somebody has the same issue. My approach is the following, if you need to rebuild your array with the same disabled data drive (and only if you are absolutly sure that the drive is still fine):

1. stop the array
  2. remove the disabled drive (aka set it to "no device") from its current place (e.g. Disc 4)
  3. add the same data drive as another drive on an extra slot (e.g. Disc 5)
  4. start array (clearing and rebuild should happen automatically)
42 minutes ago, HonkyTonk said:
  • stop the array
  • remove the disabled drive (aka set it to "no device") from its current place (e.g. Disc 4)
  • add the same data drive as another drive on an extra slot (e.g. Disc 5)
  • start array (clearing and rebuild should happen automatically)

That's not how you rebuild on top, see below:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself