AMD Fileserver Build (100TB+)

Small update in my build. I upgraded one of my cache drives from 500GB to 2TB. Still Samsung 980 Pro NVMe. This is the cache drive I use for moving files between this machine and my main PC. It was big enough for that, but then I started to use Handbrake to re-encode a large video collection, and using this cache drive as the platform for that.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Naed said:

@stev067

Love the look of your build. I've been running an HP N36L build for [checks notes] 10 years now and am very keen to upgrade.

Unfortunately I'm pretty time poor for doing research - any chance you'd be willing to post your build list?

Cheers

I was going to say check out my build in my signature, but I guess signatures are only visible when viewing the forum on desktop. Here's where I'm at currently:

Unraid Pro 6.10.0-rc1

Array: 10x 14TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro (2 parity)

Case: Fractal Define 7 XL

Motherboard: Asus Prime X570 Pro

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x

Memory: Kingston 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 ECC

Cache: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe and 980 Pro 500GB NVMe

HBA Card: LSI 9211-8i (IT mode) (cooled with Noctua 40mm)

SAS Expander: Intel RES2CV240 (cooled with Noctua 40mm)

Network Card: Intel X550-T1 10Gbps

PSU: EVGA 850 GR

CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT

UPS: APC 650W

Hotswap Bay: Icy Dock flexiDOCK MB795SP-B

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, stev067 said:

I was going to say check out my build in my signature, but I guess signatures are only visible when viewing the forum on desktop.

Thanks mate. I actually can't get signatures to appear on mobile or desktop with any browser.

Edited by Naed
  • Like 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Indeed a great build you have there... now that it's a year or so old, I'm curious how the Asus Prime X570 Pro is working out for you?   My Prime board is 7 years old and has 1 bad SATA port, so I'm considering a replacement before more problems start showing up.   The Asus Prime X570 Pro and Pro WS X570-ACE have caught my attention, so trying to decide between them.  

2 minutes ago, luisv said:

Indeed a great build you have there... now that it's a year or so old, I'm curious how the Asus Prime X570 Pro is working out for you?   My Prime board is 7 years old and has 1 bad SATA port, so I'm considering a replacement before more problems start showing up.   The Asus Prime X570 Pro and Pro WS X570-ACE have caught my attention, so trying to decide between them.  

Just over 2 years in. Zero failures across the board. Very happy with the setup, and Handbrake has been churning nearly 24/7.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

12 minutes ago, articulateape said:

What expander are you using? How difficult was it to install?

Intel RES2CV240. I kinda addressed this earlier, so I'll just point to that previous post. 

On 7/16/2021 at 9:25 AM, stev067 said:

Yeah sounds like you're only a month or two behind me, as I had no idea either. It's dead simple to set up. One port needs to be plugged into your HBA card (doesn't matter which port), and then all the other ports are free ports for 4x HDDs. So with one HBA and two expanders, you could connect 40 drives to the same PCIe slot.

Here is the link to the expander card I bought from eBay. Another user gave me a tip that this guy will accept offers of $75, which is much lower than his listed price. It has a legit intel chip on it, though I'm not sure the card is genuine intel or some kind of OEM / grey market.

I just drilled holes in my case and used brass standoffs to mount it, since I didn't want it rattling around and potentially shorting out.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, valid-madwoman4672 said:

Very impressive build. Are the Noctua 40mm fans 3 or 4 pin? There looks to be a 3 pin connector on the raid controller, can you plug a fan into that? Or do you just plug the fans into the 9 x 4pin fan hub that comes with the case? 

They're 4-pin, here's the model: Noctua NF-A4x10 PWM.

I can't remember or see where I have them plugged in, because the wires are tucked back, but I'm pretty sure I have them running full blast 24/7.