Drive expansion

Server is nearly full and I'm not ready to drop $350+ per drive to upgrade.  I have 2x8TB parity disks and 14 8TB member disks.

I've got a PCIe slot free.  I also have a stack of upgraded drives (4TB and 6TB). 

Was thinking about a small external enclosure with 5-8 drive bays and running a SAS controller to the enclosure.  I realize this puts all the disks one one channel.  The server sees little use and its mostly my family streaming content over a 10MB upstream cable modem connection, so I don't think bandwidth will be an issue.

I looked at this setup years ago out of sheer curiosity, but have not kept up with the tech.

Any advice on adding some external storage to unraid?

Thanks.

Let me follow up to my own post.

I can put an LSI 9207-8e in my server (or the 16 port version if I can find one) and then use a spare Antec 900 as a drive box.  I just need whatever interface device I would need on the other end, to connect to all the disks in the Antec 900, with an external SAS connector to talk to the LSI.