Large rack mount hdd capacity case recommendation? Norco, supermicro, other?

I was hoping to get some opinions on a case? I'd like to get a rack mount case for my unraid setup. It currently has 20 disks. I've looked at the norco 24 disk (I think) in the past, but heard mentions that the quality isn't that fantastic. I've also considered the 36 bay supermicro case as well. I think I'd like to go with a case where I can change out the mobo etc.... as I want to upgrade in the future. I considered a high capacity server (tray wise / dell, hp etc..), but you're not really looking at being able to upgrade the mobo in that scenario. 

I've had my current supermicro board and lian li case for about 8 yrs. It's great, but I'd like to get something in my rack to save on space instead of having computers sitting all over the place.

In short, are the supermicro cases my best option? 

By save space, I mean it will fit neatly in my rack and not have a non-form factor pc laying around that I have to stack on or next to something. My lian li case is HUGE, so it will actually save space in that regard as well. Thanks for the suggestion. I just picked up an APC UPS as well! a few of them, actually.

7 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

Use China made Gooxi case, really good, support EEB mobo , common 69cm depth, 2U PSU ( not ATX / MATX ), rackcase won't save space, just different from factor.

image.png.4d6adc81ad424e5fe8ed9db1be3012c9.png

Are these the cases you're referring to? https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=Gooxi&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_blrs=spell_check&_osacat=0&_odkw=gooix+case

17 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

Direct purchase from China and ship to HongKong, if you live in UK, you may try found them in https://www.xcase.co.uk/

https://www.xcase.co.uk/collections/3u-rackmount-cases/products/xc-316pro-v2-12gb-backplane-16-hotswap-bays-inc-rail-kit

trying to find these cases is kind of difficult and they aren't really on normal marketplaces. I bet getting any kind of replacements parts would be next to impossible.

12 minutes ago, live4soccer7 said:

What was the store/url for direct purchase from China?

Due to HK was outside China, we through e-trade platform "Taobao" which in fact direct trade with manufacturer.

6 minutes ago, live4soccer7 said:

trying to find these cases is kind of difficult and they aren't really on normal marketplaces. I bet getting any kind of replacements parts would be next to impossible.

Yes, same as impossible for me to purchase Noroco / Rosewell heavy product.

Edited by Vr2Io
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The NetApp shelfs are rock solid... 

If the DS4246 is used, you normally do not need four PSUs installed, unless you use 10k RPM drives... so a PSU in the left upper corner and the lower right corner is now they are shipped from NetApp with SATA or NL-SAS 7.2k drives.

Also in a Linux setup with a SAS HBA you will inly need to install the upper IOM6 module, just pull out the lower one (waste of power)... 

You want to connect your HBA to the port with the square box next to it...  and if you want to loop in another shelf, you connect from circle to square port...

(that is how NetApp does it...  not 100% sure if makes any difference on a SAS HBA...)

And also you might want to give the shelfs separate IDs on the front... (hold down the button for a few secs, and as it blinks, you should be able to change one of the digits, then hold it again to change the other digit.. and then one last time and it saves the ID.. and starts to blink amber... then power cycle the shelf...

If you have the money, you might want to replace the IOM6 module with IOM12 (right now they are about $1.000 a pcs)...  and of cause you will then need a HBA that can do 12G, new MiniSAS HD cables and possibly some SAS disks that can do 12G... 

I can only say nice things about these shelfs...  I have customers who have 8+ years old shelfs still going strong... disks, psus and the odd IOM module have been replaced along the years, but other than disks, the other components rarely dies... 

Good luck...