[Solved] Question about rebuilding an Array with just 1 data disc

Hi UnRaid Community,

I have the following environment.

1 HP Z440 Workstation with proxmox installed and a USB pass through to start a Unraid VM.

The Unraid Key was before I switch to proxmox directly started at the Z440.

So I have a disc configuration of just 1 "2 TB" HDD device. Because I can't pass through a single HDD to the Unraid VM I have two options.

1. Some know how to pass through a single SATA Port or Disc to a VM in proxmox (prefered but I think not possible)

2. Just link the HDD to the unraid server and rebuild the array without loosing all data on the disc.

The second one is much more possible i think but I don't know how to rebuild the array what contains 1 HDD with data on it without loosing that data.

Can someone help me with that?

Cheers

Stephan

Sorry for my bad explanation.

On the screenshot you can see in purple the disc device which is linked through unraid vm.

It is physical the same HDD as the expected array device what is in yellow.

Because that it is not possible to pass through a single HDD to an unraid VM I need to rebuild the array with the purple disc without loosing all the data on it.

Consider it is the same drive just with other naming convention because it is linked and not pass through.

image.png.9797558fce407b4141cf6feaaed1b677.png

Hope that makes it more understandable.

Thanks for helping me!

Edited by Stephan M.
30 minutes ago, Stephan M. said:

Hi,

nothing changed on the drive. It is just the way unraid recognize it.

Virtual Hard drive VS. Physical Hard drive.

When you mount it its same partition layout same file system and so on.

Unraid assigns drive using their ID and Serial Number. Clearly, when virtualizing the drive, the ID changed.

It is quite understandable why Unraid does not find the drive.

Also, I am move the thread to the appropriate sub-forum where you might get more support from users actually virtualizing Unraid.

Thank you for clarification and moving the post.
It's clear for me that unraid doesn't know that these two devices are the same and it is understandable that the Name and Serial changes.

So is there a chance that I will lose my files on the drive when I make a new config as you recommend me in a post earlier? 

• ChatNoir changed the title to [Solved] Question about rebuilding an Array with just 1 data disc