Intel Parallel Studio - VTune Profiler

We use UNRAID as part of our development environment and some of the developers use Intel's VTune Profiler to analyze performance and debug issues.

We have tried to configure VTune to run on an Ubuntu 18 VM ran on UNRAID although it doesnt seem to work!  Following through the guide and checking the compatibility there is no reason why this shouldn't work.

Could we look into why this is not working and potentially provide a fix or a configuration change to make this work please?

Requirements:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/vtune-profiler-system-requirements.html

Setup Guide:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/set-up-analysis-target/on-virtual-machine/on-kvm-project-system.html

We have raised this with Intel via the support forum and this is the link to the thread:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Analyzers/Using-Vtune-on-Ubuntu-guest-of-Unraid-server-KVM-hypervisor/m-p/1290330#M20690

2 hours ago, Stuwee said:

We have tried to configure VTune to run on an Ubuntu 18 VM ran on UNRAID although it doesnt seem to work!  Following through the guide and checking the compatibility there is no reason why this shouldn't work.

Do I understand that right that you want to install it in the VM (Guest) and not on Unraid (Host)?

From what I've seen all the necessary dependencies from the requirements page are meet or at least can be meet, except for the Operating system an the Kernel which is listed to be supported up to 5.0 (Unraid 6.9.2 uses Kernel 5.10.28).

But I don't understand the answer from the moderator, Unraid isn't supported but because of what?

What profiling system are you using?

• KVM Guest OS (User Apps)
  • KVM Guest OS (User and Kernel Space)
  • Host and KVM Guest OS (User and Kernel Space)

Thanks for the quick response.

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer.  We want to use VTune within an Ubuntu 18 VM running on Unraid.  We dont need access on the Unraid O/S, just the VM running on Unraid.

I agree, it looks like everything should work as expected and all requirements should be met!

We are trying to analyses the KVM guest OS (User and kernel space).

The above reference to the Intel forum was via one of our developers but we have since raised this via there official support channel.  If I get more information Ill report back.

16 minutes ago, Stuwee said:

I agree, it looks like everything should work as expected and all requirements should be met!

The only thing that I can think of is that you need to be on the same Kernel Version as the Host but that's very unlikely to be the case here...

16 minutes ago, Stuwee said:

The above reference to the Intel forum was via one of our developers but we have since raised this via there official support channel.  If I get more information Ill report back.

Really interested why it isn't working...