[6.9.2] - Multiple GPU Passthrough For Different VM

Hi,

I am planning to deploy 2 VM on my unraid. Each VM will have dedicated GPU assigned.

Is there any requirement for this setup? Can I used same GPU model on my unraid?

My current setup are as below:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z490 VISION G

Processor: CORE I9 10900K

RAM: VENGEANCE LPX CMK (3600) 16GB x 2

Edited by Muhamad Aidil Karim
Add Information

Hi

Yes you can. I have a PC with 2 GPU's (RTX 2080 Super and an old GTX1080 Super) that works fine.

my latest project is a PC with 5 GPUs (4x RTX 2060 and a GT710) that also works very well, except that my new Threadripper does not release the GPU in the 1st slot for GPU Passtrogh. But i'm working on it....

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, juan11perez said:

I am on 6.9.2 and can passthrough gpu(s). 

Asus rogstrix 470 MB, Ryzen 3900x. 

I have the same setup as you with gtx970 on the 16x slot and I cannot get mine to work.  It used to work but unraid updated and it stopped working. It has almost been a year and I would like to get this resolved.  I also have an sas card in the bottom slot. 

Would you mind sharing your configuration or bios settings?  I believe unraid is set to non uefi (legacy) mode if that matters.

I'm on this bios: American Megatrends Inc. Version 5843. Dated: 03/11/2021

and have the following:

• 1st slot Radeon RX 570 which I use for MacOs and Windows VMs
  • 2nd slot GeForce GTX 1650 for Archlinux Vm - daily driver
  • 3rd slot GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - hardware acceleration. i.e plex, zoneminder, mlapi, etc.

I'm on Legacy boot. non uefi. In bios I've only modified the following:

• HVM: Enabled
  • IOMMU: Enabled
  • Memory Freq: 3000
  • Power state: Power on restart
  • Fans: all at max

I think that if you're passing the only GPU you have, you need to add the GPU bios in the vm. 

1 hour ago, juan11perez said:

I'm on this bios: American Megatrends Inc. Version 5843. Dated: 03/11/2021

and have the following:

• 1st slot Radeon RX 570 which I use for MacOs and Windows VMs
  • 2nd slot GeForce GTX 1650 for Archlinux Vm - daily driver
  • 3rd slot GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - hardware acceleration. i.e plex, zoneminder, mlapi, etc.

I'm on Legacy boot. non uefi. In bios I've only modified the following:

• HVM: Enabled
  • IOMMU: Enabled
  • Memory Freq: 3000
  • Power state: Power on restart
  • Fans: all at max

I think that if you're passing the only GPU you have, you need to add the GPU bios in the vm. 

Thank you very much.  I am using the edited rom file.

Did you edit the vifo on the unraid bootup process or just change settings on the VM screen?

Well, I got it to work once; it booted to uefi bios and then the vm worked.  I then needed to reboot my vm and it never came back up so using my phone I logged into the unraid machine and the vm would restart but nothing on the monitor anymore. Rebooted unraid and nothing.

So If I passthrough like your saying to by assigning the immo graphics card/hdmi sound then unraid will not grab the card on boot.  I assume you have your vm to auto boot?

I will try this and report back.

• 1 month later...

What I am trying to do is have 2 gpus for passthru to 2 seperate vms

Problem: Installed 2nd gpu in unraid server (identical amd rx570 8gb cards)

when I start a single vm....my vms tab disappears and go to settings vm manger and thats gone too

Setup: I have a linux vm and a windows 11 vm installed

when it comes to vm setup each vm has its own gpu with seperate id (so I know which card is
which), each card has its own iommu group

Outcome: My server becomes so unstable to the point I have to reboot, because it freezes so I cant get any logs to see whats wrong........

at first I thought it was a power issue, I started with a 750w psu running 2950x threadripper 6 hdds and 2 amd rx570 8g gpus

So I upgraded the psu to a 1000w psu and getting same issues, So I have taken out 2nd gpu and system is now stable once more......

Im not sure if its a setup thing or that I have identical gpus

If someone has some insight to dual gpu setup that would be great, Im not sure what to check for in logs.........any help would be greatful, a bit lost and disappointed I cant get this working

I have same results with 6.9.2 and now with 6.10 rc1

• 10 months later...
On 6/24/2021 at 7:54 PM, Putschgi said:

Hi

Yes you can. I have a PC with 2 GPU's (RTX 2080 Super and an old GTX1080 Super) that works fine.

my latest project is a PC with 5 GPUs (4x RTX 2060 and a GT710) that also works very well, except that my new Threadripper does not release the GPU in the 1st slot for GPU Passtrogh. But i'm working on it....

what case /chassis are you using for this? i have a similer project with 4-5 cards and threadripper and am struggling to find a suitable case/chassis for it

1 hour ago, Zass said:

i have a similer project with 4-5 cards and threadripper and am struggling to find a suitable case/chassis for it

What about the fractal design 7 xl?

I have an old fractal design xl r2 and it was near perfect.

The new 7 xl is quite expensive (at least for me), but it seems it has all one should have need; it has also a 3 vertical slot space to install a pcie riser.