Server crashes somewhat randomly, I have tried everything I can think of.

Hello,

I built a new server fairly recently, and it crashes pretty much daily. When I say "crash", I mean it becomes completely unresponsive, including WebUI, and the console shown when you connect a video output. It does this with some degree of consistency overnight, however it is sometimes during the day. Doesn't seem to be caused by anything scheduled.

Upon pulling syslogs from the USB stick, I found a docker log indicating that the filesystem had gone into read-only mode, and I found in a thread on here that sometimes NFS can cause this. Disabled NFS, no dice. I have tried the following:

- Different OS (switched to UnRaid from Ubuntu)

- Different CPU (Switched from old crappy AMD CPU to new slightly less crappy AMD CPU)

- Turned off NFS since I read in a thread that it causes issues & can send the server into read-only mode

I am completely lost on what to do here. I have no clue where to start, so I will just attach logs as people request.

I'm also fairly new to Linux and Ubuntu, so there might be something simple I am overlooking.

Might it be a power supply issue? Just an issue with my wall power? Motherboard?

Edited by Mashmellow

This issue has persisted across a memory change (went from 16gb to 32gb, completely new kit, all old memory removed). Haven't run a memtest yet.

Also, I just installed NetData last night, and the logs it has show a massive spike in drive usage for a very short period, then it stabilized, then it crashed.

I am not home at the moment, but I will run a memtest for 24 hours when I get the chance to. I have not changed anything regarding memory settings.

Edited by Mashmellow
Add more info
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mashmellow said:

and it just abruptly stops.

If there's nothing logged about the crash it suggests a hardware issue, you can try running the server in safe mode without dockers/VMs for a few days, if it crashes like that it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning the services on one by one.

Ok. That's sorta what I expected. Not even going to bother with safe mode, as it has done the same thing across 3 different operating systems, including Windows. 

Motherboard and CPU are going to be replaced, as they are both slow and crappy anyways, any suggestions on budget options?

Look at any plugins you use and see if there was an update to any around the same time as the problems started.  My server started experiencing lockups last weekend.  I had 3 in 4 days.  Nothing at all in the syslog, server just halted.  I removed a recently updated plugin and it's been stable for 2 days.  I'll let it go a bit longer before claiming I found the issue.  As there has been no other reports of random lockups and it's a very widely used plugin, I'm not confident to name it until I am sure.

if it's been doing it from day 1 then maybe it is hardware related.  My previous build would lock up at odd times.  Sometimes nothing for two weeks then a few in succession, very random times and frequency.  Nothing in the syslog before the lockup. It had been going on for a year or so.  I finally swapped out the motherboard/CPU and RAM and replaced them with components I had in my main PC.  Net result my server stopped random lockups and was stable until recently.  My PC, with the old server internals, hasn't missed a beat either.