(Solved) 2 drives suddenly disabled

Cheers everyone!

After having some trouble with a new 4-port SATA-controller dropping offline every few days, I did a larger troubleshooting session today - reaseating and/or exchanging all cables, exchanging my 2 SATA-controllers, swapping them around through the available PCIe-ports, and so on... It seems that it hasn't been a problem with a specific SATA-controller, but rather a bad seating in the PCIe slot due to it getting a tad loosened uping screwing it into the slot.

Having this fixed, after the next boot 2 of my drives (one parity and one data drive) have been marked as disabled. Again, swapping around cables and ports, the error stays on those two drives. SMART-checks on those drives pass without any errors.

I gotta admit I'm not completely sure on how to proceed from here on.

Should I just format the unmountable disk 3 and then rebuild parity and data?

Thanks in advance for your help!

disks.PNG

homeserver-syslog-20210627-1031.zip

Edited by Turnspit

Do NOT format disk3 unless you want to lose all its data.  The format operation would create an empty file system on disk3 and update parity to reflect this.

I assume at this point the system says it is 'emulating' disk3?  If that is so then you need to follow the procedure for handling unmountable disks as documented here in the online documentation that can be accessed via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI to see if you can successfully repair the file system on the emulated disk before attempting any rebuild.  Post back here if that does not work.

You can then clear the disabled state on the disabled disks as described here in the online documentation.  Not sure if you can rebuild both a parity disk and a data disk at the same time or have to do it in 2 stages - hopefully someone else can chime in with the answer to that.

• Thanks 1

Hi itimpi, and thanks for the super fast response, wow!

I have to shamefully admit that I acted incredibly hasty and premature - I removed the two disabled disk, restarted and stopped the array, added the disks again and then formatted and started rebuilding parity. I thought UnRAID would then think those were two replacement disks for lost ones and would start rebuilding my initial data situation.

As you stated correctly, it now starts rebuilding parity with data disk 3 being completely empty, the files that were stored on it are gone. I was just way to impatient, idiot me...

Luckily, I have a full offsite-backup which I'm gonna grab and rebuild the lost data over night after parity has been rebuilt.

This will teach me to wait for the pros the next time.

Anyhow, thanks again for your super quick reply itimpi!

I will report back once the parity rebuild and data recovery has been (hopefully successfully) completed.

1 hour ago, Turnspit said:

have to shamefully admit that I acted incredibly hasty and premature - I removed the two disabled disk, restarted and stopped the array, added the disks again and then formatted and started rebuilding parity. I thought UnRAID would then think those were two replacement disks for lost ones and would start rebuilding my initial data situation.

You would have been fine if you had omitted the ‘format’ step.  

When you selected the format option you would have got a big pop up that doing so would result in data loss - did you not read this or was the warning not clear enough?

• Turnspit changed the title to (Solved) 2 drives suddenly disabled

Just wanted to give an update - Parity has been successfully updated, and as expected the content of the formatted drive is gone.

Currently rebuilding the missing 4 TB from my Backup.

Next time (which hopefully won't happen) I'll be more patient and cautious. 🙂