Data disk rebuild - shares missing

I had a data disk of the array disabled. Just went 'red cross'. Checked it with other live Linux, no troubles - all data there, no smart issues of this quite new disk.

Now unraid is rebuilding the data drive (see this thread) using the two parity drives and all other data disks. (quite slowly: 50mb/s, takes 3 days)

-> Is it normal, that the shares, residing on the 'lost' data disk are not shown / gone while the data disk is being rebuild?

I expected that the shares are at least shown in the shares page (and maybe even be readable) while the rebuild is running. Now I am a little worried that some newer data (since last backup) may be lost with the shares. This does not look like what I was expecting using unraid with 2 parity drives.

Edited by TheJJJ42
added relevant thread link

Did the files show up before the rebuild started on the ‘emulated’ drive?    A rebuild just makes a physical drive match the ‘emulated’ one.

if the drive is showing as unmountable then this is not ‘fixed’ by a rebuild.   That status indicates file system level corruption and the procedures to follow to fix that are documented here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.

it was "Device is disabled, contents emulated", so i followed this thread with squids guide to...

Stop the array

Set the disk to be not installed

Start the array

Stop the array

Set the disk to be the appropriate disk

Start the array

unRaid will now commence the rebuild operation.

... so I expected a rebuild.

Should the shares (on that particular data drive) be shown while the rebuild is running?  Or is this an indication, that they are lost? If yes: why? What may have gone wrong?

1 hour ago, TheJJJ42 said:

it was "Device is disabled, contents emulated", so i followed this thread with squids guide to...

... so I expected a rebuild.

Should the shares (on that particular data drive) be shown while the rebuild is running?  Or is this an indication, that they are lost? If yes: why? What may have gone wrong?

The files should remain visible the whole time.

two things can stop them being visible:

• At some stage you (incorrectly) did a format (which is not part of the rebuild process) this would have wiped the content
  • the disk is showing as unmountable (which indicates file system level corruption).   You need to follow the process for checking/repairing the file system to make the drive mountable again and the files visible again.