Disk with "Reported Uncorrect" errors

Diskspeed shows that it's not entirely unreasonable in terms of read speed

image.png.ae80794879851ffdf89feb2a2ecd3a50.png

And, it's on par with Disk1 which is the other Barracuda drive I've got

image.png.15164aa9fdce44ba0fdbb59c1cd22e9b.png

Unfortunately, that's only read speed being tested, not write speed. I've not specifically noticed issues with writing to Disk1, but this is really the first time I've tied some of the system issues I've had to writing to a specific disk, so I'm not sure if Disk1 is contributing to the general slowness I'm having.

The drive's less than 18 months old, but, of course, the warranty was only 12 months, so I guess I'm a bit hosed on this one. I do have a new drive (Iron Wolf, I believe) that was going to go in place of one of the rather old 4TB drives. Would I be better off replacing this disk, instead and replacing the apparently otherwise functional 4TBs later?

Disk1 is at 7.8TB full - I don't recall having had issues like this as it was filling up, while Disk8 is at only 3.15TB full. Of course, I had been using cache for all shares for a very long time, and recently (about 6-9 months ago) switched to not caching writes to most of my shares, so I may have had writes this slow and just never noticed because it was in the middle of the night. I've switched the one share that's getting the majority of the writes back to using cache, so maybe the problem will appear to go away.

Are the 2 Reported Uncorrect errors worth enough worry to swap the drive right now, or would you suggest letting it ride for now, while keeping an eye on it. (Maybe run a short or even long SMART test monthly or so, after parity check is complete.)

I ended up replacing the drive with the new Iron Wolf. With all the associated heat issues, it only took about forever to rebuild data onto the new drive.

I now have the Barracuda with reported uncorrect errors still in the server and listed as an Unassigned Device.

1. Would it be reasonable to try to run a preclear on it and see if it survives?
  2. If so, would more than 1 preclear cycle be suggested?
  3. If it survives one or more preclears, would you feel confident putting data on it? (running single parity, would ensure it's excluded from shares that might have critical data)

If it does come out in the end that it seems reasonably "safe" to reuse it, I'd move data from my two smaller 4TB drives onto it, doing overnight writes when I wouldn't notice the slowdowns, and get the older 4TB drives out of the system.

Thanks.

Since it's not part of the array now, I either need to Preclear or rebuild parity. Since both this disk and parity are SMR (I know, what was I thinking), it's probably 6 of one, half dozen of the other in terms of time to live.
Sigh...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk