Unable to access public shares from any PC

Hey All, 

I am looking for some help to solve an issue i seemed to have created, fixing another issue i was dealing with. 

My unRaid server i recently built, the motherboard has a 1gig and 10gig ethernet port. Since setting it all up i completely missed the fact that this whole time it was plugged into the 1gig port, so someone helped me switch everything over by moving my eth0 from the 1gig port to the 10gig port, switch the ethernet cable to that port after shutting it down.

The way i fixed the port switching was via the setting - network, I switched the interface rules of ETH0 to the 10gig port, then ETH1 to the 1gig port, shut it down, switched cable between ports and started the server back on. 

So now that i got that all switched and all my dockers and everything are working perfectly accessing the network and internet via the 10gig port mapped to eth0, i no longer can access any of my shares. I cant even access my system with ...

\\tower

I can access the unRaid server just fine from the IP address to the GUI, but now i need to fix my shares. I tried to access them from my Windows 10 desktop, Windows 10 laptop, and older Windows 7 laptop i have laying around and the minute attempt to access it i get an error within Windows. 

image.png.8f4d0b64f331df07ab150c6187017c86.png

image.png.a32fdae3a9ed35eff4e307a8563ddc3d.png

I googled it, tried the common fix I see of enabling the guest login, but that didn't fix my issue and I don't think that is it, since its multiple systems unable to access the shares. 

image.thumb.png.6a3056593aa2a97d8ef4e5d42b817e42.png

Edited by Storx

Update: I have gotten a little progress. I cant access my tower shares or gui via \\TOWER like i could previously, but i learned i could access the shares seperately via ip address in my case 192.168.254.10\media. It prompted me for a user/password. The root user with my normal password didnt work, so i create a new user on the server and was able to enter that share user/password and get into the share finally, but now i need to figure out why its not able to found via \\tower anymore like it was prior to switching the ethernet ports. 

1 hour ago, Storx said:

The root user with my normal password didnt work,

Root is specifically disallowed from accessing SMB shares, it's only for managing the server at the console and webGUI.

1 hour ago, Storx said:

i need to figure out why its not able to found via \\tower anymore like it was prior to switching the ethernet ports. 

Most likely reason would be cached name resolution somewhere. Easiest solution would probably be to manually set the entry in your windows hosts files on the various client machines linking tower with the static IP you assigned to the server.

16 minutes ago, jonathanm said:
1 hour ago, Storx said:

i need to figure out why its not able to found via \\tower anymore like it was prior to switching the ethernet ports. 

Most likely reason would be cached name resolution somewhere. Easiest solution would probably be to manually set the entry in your windows hosts files on the various client machines linking tower with the static IP you assigned to the server.

Could you possibly go into slight more details on this, still learning as i go. 

Update: found a fix for it by someone on reddit, as far as i can tell its fixed, just wish i understand what happened and how it was fixed.. 

The simple fix was Tools - New Permissions, select the user shares and run the script on them.. this fixed so i can access the shares via my PCs now.. the only thing that still not working that previously worked is \\tower... outside of this i can explore to my shares via explorer and see all my shares and network map them to the pc again.