WD Elements 10TB

Anyone know what's inside the WD external Elements 10TB? They use to be $159!!! Now all companies blame the pandemic and silicon shortage to raise prices abnormally high. Lowest I've seen a 10TB external has been $269. $100 difference. Forget about standard internal drives. You will end up spending probably over $400 for a decent brand/specc'ed drive.

2 hours ago, opentoe said:

Anyone know what's inside the WD external Elements 10TB? They use to be $159!!! Now all companies blame the pandemic and silicon shortage to raise prices abnormally high. Lowest I've seen a 10TB external has been $269. $100 difference. Forget about standard internal drives. You will end up spending probably over $400 for a decent brand/specc'ed drive.

Like @Vr2Io said - could be helium or air CMR drives.

I don't think they were regularly priced at $159.  https://shucks.top/

On 6/29/2021 at 8:02 AM, whipdancer said:

Like @Vr2Io said - could be helium or air CMR drives.

I don't think they were regularly priced at $159.  https://shucks.top/

I would usually grab an HGST NAS drive, but seeing how expensive the internal drives are these days I'm willing to take a chance shucking an external. I do remember the 8TB externals were $159 on Newegg a while back. One of my drives died ( thank you for that little utility that checks for problems ) .  Thanks for that URL....very nice.

Edited by opentoe
4 hours ago, opentoe said:

I would usually grab an HGST NAS drive, but seeing how expensive the internal drives are these days I'm willing to take a chance shucking an external. I do remember the 8TB externals were $159 on Newegg a while back.

Make sure to steer clear of the SMR drives.

Don't know much about WD, but every Seagate external over 8TB in size comes with a desirable CMR drive, and every Seagate external over 10TB has been reported as a NAS drive (Ironwolf Pro or Exos).

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 2:19 AM, Lolight said:

Make sure to steer clear of the SMR drives.

Don't know much about WD, but every Seagate external over 8TB in size comes with a desirable CMR drive, and every Seagate external over 10TB has been reported as a NAS drive (Ironwolf Pro or Exos).

I ended up with an WD Elements drive for $249. Ripped it out and it was a WD RED drive. Kind of just what I wanted. I can't believe how expensive everything is, and not just drives. Everything is much more. Including essential items like food. Does a head of lettuce  really have to go up %60? I signed up last weekend to volunteer in  food kitchen. I really can't believe the amount of people having a hard time just feeding their families. Next week I'm emptying my cabinets of canned goods and non perishable items and bringing everything to the food bank where I was volunteering. Maybe the cook there can make something. When I see an entire family that just parked their Toyota SUV outside and come in for a meal it breaks my heart. Sorry this turned into such a post, but it is hard to ignore. Thanks for reading.

4 hours ago, opentoe said:

I ended up with an WD Elements drive for $249. Ripped it out and it was a WD RED drive. Kind of just what I wanted. I can't believe how expensive everything is, and not just drives. Everything is much more. Including essential items like food. Does a head of lettuce  really have to go up %60? I signed up last weekend to volunteer in  food kitchen. I really can't believe the amount of people having a hard time just feeding their families. Next week I'm emptying my cabinets of canned goods and non perishable items and bringing everything to the food bank where I was volunteering. Maybe the cook there can make something. When I see an entire family that just parked their Toyota SUV outside and come in for a meal it breaks my heart. Sorry this turned into such a post, but it is hard to ignore. Thanks for reading.

I'm going to be honest, the pricing is now at the same level as it was a year or 2 ago (for those of us outside NA).

You guys in the US just get spoiled by big retail and their insane discounting.

9 hours ago, opentoe said:

Everything is much more. Including essential items like food.

Hear ya!

But in the case with the hard drives it was clearly the Chia mining hype and nothing else.

Now that the disk buying panic related to Chia is over, the prices have started to slowly come down.

Doesn't mean that they will return back to the pre Chia levels.

Not until a sizable number of the Chia miners completely loose interest in expanding their "farms" and stop buying new disks.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

I'm going to be honest, the pricing is now at the same level as it was a year or 2 ago (for those of us outside NA).

You guys in the US just get spoiled by big retail and their insane discounting.

Nothing to do with discounting and everything to do with lower levels of taxation, inefficiency and retail greed.

Edited by Lolight
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...