Time machine backup to unraid over internet

GG73

Because there are too many different ways to accomplish remote access to resources, some safer, some so risky it's a guarantee your server will be hacked, I doubt you will find a guide. Also, mac backups seem to be hit or miss on the LAN, let alone across a WAN, that it may end up being too much hassle.

My best advice (others may have better) is to get it working on the LAN, then use a self hosted VPN to extend it to WAN. Unless your server is on a symmetric 1 Gb internet connection it probably won't work well enough anyway.

I’ve never had any issues over LAN in the 6 years I’ve been using it, not sure why other people seem to? 
not long been using unraid and setting up a vpn is my next task. I have set up a Plex server and windows 10 VM that I’m using remotely via team viewer and both have been working flawlessly.

I do have 400mb down 35mb up on my unraid server end and 250 down 100 up on my Mac in the office (this being the machine I want to back up remotely)

Edited by GG73
  • GG73 changed the title to Time machine backup to unraid over internet