New Nas For Home

hi all new to forum thought id come to the source to ask this question as i intend this to be my storage server for foreseeable future.

here is my proposed build with parts i already have.
1. Silvertsone DS308B
2. Asus Strix gaming itx x570
3. Corsair LPX Vengence 2x32gb 3200mhz
4. AMD 9 5900x (5700g when they become available)
5. Corsair 750 Platuim
6. 8x 16TB Ironwolf Pro HDDs
7. 2x Sabrent Rocket 1TB (Cache)
8. Noctua NH-L9a Chromax
9. LSI 9207 8i (HBA)

currently i only have the first 16tb drive i have more coming but i need to get this network up and running as the other jank nas's are just not reliable. 

i have the 16tb. i have 4 6tb and i have 3 8tb drives i wanted to know if this was a scenario anyone has come across.

load the drives in this order 16tb, 4 6tb from old dying nas. build the pool with 2x1tb nvme ssds for caching. once this is all initialized and data is copied over to the new pool, pop in the other 3 8tb drives to expand the pool, then once the new 16tb drives arrive pop them out 1 at a time doing the rebuild/re-silver as they start to arrive.

sorry if this seems like im all over the place this is my first full NAS  focused  build all my other itx builds have been gaming desktops or low power office rigs.

thank you again for any assistance with this build ill answer any questions if it'll help clarify anything.

1 hour ago, Shadowarez said:

hi all new to forum thought id come to the source to ask this question as i intend this to be my storage server for foreseeable future.

here is my proposed build with parts i already have.
1. Silvertsone DS308B
2. Asus Strix gaming itx x570
3. Corsair LPX Vengence 2x32gb 3200mhz
4. AMD 9 5900x (5700g when they become available)
5. Corsair 750 Platuim
6. 8x 16TB Ironwolf Pro HDDs
7. 2x Sabrent Rocket 1TB (Cache)
8. Noctua NH-L9a Chromax
9. LSI 9207 8i (HBA)

I personally would not vouch for/select a gaming MB for a NAS, but technically this should work, I think.

currently i only have the first 16tb drive i have more coming but i need to get this network up and running as the other jank nas's are just not reliable. 

i have the 16tb. i have 4 6tb and i have 3 8tb drives i wanted to know if this was a scenario anyone has come across.

load the drives in this order 16tb, 4 6tb from old dying nas. build the pool with 2x1tb nvme ssds for caching. once this is all initialized and data is copied over to the new pool, pop in the other 3 8tb drives to expand the pool,

...there is a difference in the features of "pools" and "the array" in unraid.

You should read the docs/faqs and get familiar with the differences.

The set of disks, build/assembled from disks of different sizes and with up to two parity disks, is the array.

While pools are used as individual (write-)cache or storage disks in different parts of the NAS Shares filesystem....mostly build from a btrfs raid1 set each and with SSDs/NVMes.

As they are faster and less energy hungry, this allows for letting the larger array disks sleep and save energy (and noise) until needed.

It also allows to store frequently used or changed data in pools (like Dockers or VMs vdisks).

then once the new 16tb drives arrive pop them out 1 at a time doing the rebuild/re-silver as they start to arrive.

there is no Raid in unraid...also no striping

Each data disk in the array is an individual disk, with a filesystem on its own. Each file will only reside on a single disk.

There is an overlay filesystem accross all these disks in the array, making it look like one large filesystem. Based on a set of rules/configuration unraid decides where a file gets stored (on what disk). 

The more classic concept of resilvering does not apply in unRaid, especially not when you want to replace an existing data disk with a larger one.

The closest thing to resilvering is, when a disk dies or goes missing and will be rebuild from parity once restored/replaced.

But yes, the use-case that you depicted can be done, just not with a resilvering action, as you called it.

See: https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Replacing_disk

• Thanks 1

ok thank you i will go read through the  docs and faqs section before i do this. also as i have this MB it only has 1 pcie which i plan on using my HBA .

can i setup unraid with a gpu then continue from web later with all drives attached. my use is very minimal at start i dont plan on using vms ill tinker with game servers maybe down the line. im hoping to be able to start this unraid server with a 16tb,4x6tb, 2x1tb pcie gen 4 nvme then get the data copied onto this new server then add remaining drives from the itx build that currently houses 3x8tb soon as its all copied over.

Process im hoping to do

1. setup unraid with gpu to point it'll let me remote in to add disks

2. add drives 16tb,4x6tb,2x1tb nvme

3,build storage pool

4, copy all data from current nas

5.add 3x8tb drives to pool

6. replace each non 16tb drive as they come in

main use

1. media server for house

2. storing programs/games

3.backup central for all the pcs,phone, on network,

hope this paints a clearer picture for the pros here as i build massive rigs to mini nuclear power plant rigs and i want to make sure i have a network Nas thats as high quailty as the rigs iv built.

2 hours ago, Shadowarez said:

Silvertsone DS308B

With this case I would definitely do the cooling mods documented in these forums and others on the Internet.  Disks can get really hot in this case as the airflow is very poor without the mods.

I have the larger Silverstone CS380 case and I did some mods to improve airlfow through disk cages on this case as well.

• Like 1

i have 4 Noctua slim fans and some gentle typhoons planed as i was thinking this would be required. ill look for threads pertaining to this though thank you for the heads up i was going to just slap fans in there and prey now ill do it a more refined optimized way.

41 minutes ago, Shadowarez said:

can i setup unraid with a gpu then continue from web later with all drives attached.

You should be able to start in GUI-mode, with a local Monitor, Keyboard and mouse attached.

Upon boot, a short dialog should ask you to start in what mode or run memtest.

However, the default is non-GUI mode and in order to start, you will will need internet access to claim your test-licence and to purchase the selected production license after the test-license expires after 14 days. 

While on a test license, the unraid box requires to have access to the internet all the time, when running.

Anyway, the normal way of using a NAS is not via local access but from a client inside your home network.

All you need is that client and a browser to configure & monitor unraid.

Just now, Shadowarez said:

perfect been reading the docs after your suggestion i think ill run duel parity can i use use differnt sized parity for this or should i stick with same size 16tb? 

Parity disks do not need to be the same size.    The only restriction with dual parity is that they both must be at least as large as the largest data drive.

Ah ok makes sence i will have 4x6tb as data then later once data from old nas is copied over ill be adding 3 8tb i think ill assign one of the 8tb as a 2nd parity after the old nas has been copied over and everything checks out. or i could infact build it a with 16--8 Parity drives 4-6tb then 2-8tb later on once data is copied.

• 2 weeks later...

oh yeah seen the speeds of WD SMR mixed i fixed with software caching but not worth it. my 8 drives will all be the same Ironwolf Pro 16tb, and the others will be same tech CMR,  i posted in another thread about the cooling duct and noticed the backplane for this case has both sata/molex do i need to power both to power up the drives?