Cannot boot into GUI mode

I'm having the exact same problem as this post: UNABLE TO BOOT INTO GUI MODE

Everything works fine except GUI mode. I can boot normally into console mode, and I can ssh in no problem.

But when I choose "Boot GUI" I get the boot log as usual, then the screen goes blank and I get a blinking cursor at the top-left corner of my screen.

I've tried the "nomodeset" fix and it didn't help.

I bet if I could disable UEFI mode it would work fine, since that seems to have fixed it for others.

HOWEVER... my motherboard is an ASRock J4105M and it does not have a traditional BIOS. It only has UEFI according to tech support. Even if I disable "Fast Boot" mode it still boots UEFI. As far as I can tell there is no way to disable UEFI and boot traditional BIOS. And it appears that I need traditional BIOS to make GUI mode work.

Are there any other workarounds that I can pursue to get GUI mode to work?

Edited by scubanarc

In reality, if you don't run a VM as your primary desktop machine, then there's no real reason to boot into GUI mode.  It was introduced because with the array stopped, all VMs are also stopped and if you didn't have another way to access the OS' GUI you were SOL.