Format of the Data disk

Hi All

On my test unraid server, the Data disk failed so I decided to replace it with another one and rebuilt the Array. (Parity disk was OK).

After the array was rebuilt, there was an issue with the new Data disk as it was not mountable so I did use option to format it.

After format has been completed the Array seems to work as before.

Just one question here, does the format of the Data disk also removes all data from the Parity drive?

Thanks

Edited by ataman
  • ataman changed the title to Format of the Data disk
1 hour ago, ataman said:

Just one question here, does the format of the Data disk also removes all data from the Parity drive?

Yes.  

Instead of formatting the disk you should have followed the procedure documented here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI for handling drives showing as unmountable.

4 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Yes.

When you say a data disk failed, what do you mean?

It was an old disk with bad sectors which I removed from my main Unraid server some time ago. After an unclean shutdown that disk become unmountable and I believe now it's completely dead.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

Yes.  

Instead of formatting the disk you should have followed the procedure documented here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI for handling drives showing as unmountable.

Will remember for the future. As this is my test environment - there's no important data stored. I was just curious if the format also clears the Parity drive - thanks for the answers!