Cannot boot into Unraid GUI

Hi,

I’m a brand new user to Unraid, I’m looking at using my PC as an Unraid server and VM directly into my existing Windows 10. As I don’t have another PC I really need access to Unraid GUI to set everything up.

I’ve tried over the last couple nights to get this to work, when I boot into Unraid it gives me a list of options to boot into, so I select Unraid GUI and then I get a flashing cursor in top left corner.

I’ve tired basically everything in Uefi to get this working. There is one thing I’m thinking that may fix it and I just wanted confirmation before I go unplugging everything.

I have an Intel/Nvidia setup, and my DisplayPort is connected into my monitor and 3080rtx graphics card, I’m presuming I’ll need to connect my monitor directly to the motherboard to get access to the GUI? If so how would it go if I can start my windows 10 VM, will it automatically adjust to GPU input once booted?

if this isn’t the solution to my problem accessing the GUI, what is? I can remotely access it from my mobile phone.

Thanks!

You can stop Unraid from using the nVidia card by isolating it at the VFIO level.

If the Intel part is an iGPU then installing the 'Intel GPU TOP' plugin should enable the driver for that card when booting in GUI mode if you want it to use that on a locally attached monitor (although it sounds as if this is not the case?).  There is a corresponding plugin for nVidia cards but since you want the VM to use that card the VFIO approach is the way to go.

Just now, itimpi said:

You can stop Unraid from using the nVidia card by isolating it at the VFIO level.

If the Intel part is an iGPU then installing the 'Intel GPU TOP' plugin should enable the driver for that card when booting in GUI mode if you want it to use that on a locally attached monitor (although it sounds as if this is not the case?).  There is a corresponding plugin for nVidia cards but since you want the VM to use that card the VFIO approach is the way to go.

I went into the built in VFIO-PCI Config plugin and binded my 3080 rtx graphics card,  and rebooted. A wall of text shows up before it stops and I get the following error:

overlayfs: upper fs does not support xattr, falling back to index=off and metacopy=off.

vfio-pci 0000:01:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=io+mem:owns=io+mem

I'm under the impression I'll have to install the Intel GPU Top plugin as well?

Edited by Happytodd

I think that I'm in a similar boat as you, except I don't have a video card added, I'm just trying to boot the onboard.

I have 2 suggestions for you (although neither worked for me):

1 - Disable UEFI and see if it works (in other words, do a traditional BIOS boot): 

2 - Try the nomodeset trick: 

5 minutes ago, scubanarc said:

I think that I'm in a similar boat as you, except I don't have a video card added, I'm just trying to boot the onboard.

I have 2 suggestions for you (although neither worked for me):

1 - Disable UEFI and see if it works (in other words, do a traditional BIOS boot): 

2 - Try the nomodeset trick: 

I've tried both of those methods and still nothing. I'm sure it's something very stupid that I'm not doing right..

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JamesAdams said:

@HappytoddYou are found a solution ?

I did figure out the issue, all I had to do was install the Intel GPU TOP plugin via Community Addons, and make sure I had a video cable connected from my motherboard to my monitor.

My issue was that I had my display cable connected to my GPU, and I had started editing files when it wasn't necessary. I have a second display cable connected to my GPU now for when I set up my VM with GPU passthrough.

• Like 1