[SOLVED] UNRAID not booting after safe shutdown from UPS

My Unraid is not booting and it has be confused. After a power outage, my system in on a UPS the system shut down when power in the UPS hits 25%, that is how it is setup. I was out and the system was not turned on until I got home a week later. I powered it up and it did not come up. Hooked up a monitor and this is what is displayed.

No DEFaULT or UI configuration direct)ive found!

boot:

It repeats this over and over.

Once I got this message.

SYSLINUX 6.03 EDD Load error - Boot error

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have all photos, videos and movies on this server, also setup for virtual systems. Can't really loose any of this.

Thanks

David

20210706_151842.jpg

20210706_153158.jpg

21 minutes ago, drallred said:

My Unraid is not booting and it has be confused. After a power outage,

Power outages often mess up things on the boot flash and/or server BIOS; sometimes even when on a UPS.  It happened once on my UPS-protected system.

One thing you can try first is to insert the unRAID flash drive into a Windows computer and let it check the flash and fix any file system errors it finds.

In your case, it looks like syslinux.cfg (located in the syslinux folder on the flash drive) may be messed up.

It should look something like this with one of the boot options designated as the menu default:

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology, Inc.
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot mitigations=off
label unRAID OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins, no GUI)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label unRAID OS GUI Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

Edited by Hoopster
17 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Power outages often mess up things on the boot flash and/or server BIOS; sometimes even when on a UPS.  It happened once on my UPS-protected system.

One thing you can try first is to insert the unRAID flash drive into a Windows computer and let it check the flash and fix any file system errors it finds.

In your case, it looks like syslinux.cfg (located in the syslinux folder on the flash drive) may be messed up.

It should look something like this with one of the boot options designated as the menu default:

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology, Inc.
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot mitigations=off
label unRAID OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins, no GUI)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label unRAID OS GUI Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

After removing the USB and letting Windows fix the drive, No Errors Found, I checked the syslinux.cfg and it looked identical to the one posted except for the mitigations=off. 

Just for giggles I plugged the USB into different USB ports on the server and got the same boot errors. 

I have copied the USB drive files to my laptop but 2 did not. ncurses-5.9-x86-64-4.Txz and perl-5.18.1-x86_64-1.Txz.  I know there might be a few hidden files/folders.  I will be buying a new USB for possible new install.  I know that my storage drives are good.

I am a windows guy and UnRAID was easy to setup and get going 5 years ago, it has been running great and has been updated when new versions come out. 

I am at a loss as all searches on the internet say to make sure the boot order is correct, and it is.

18 hours ago, drallred said:

After a power outage, my system in on a UPS the system shut down when power in the UPS hits 25%, that is how it is setup. I was out and the system was not turned on until I got home a week later. I

How old is the battery in that UPS?  IF more then two years old, that 25% number is probably a SWAG (Stupid wild a$$ Guess).   After you get thing working again, think carefully about the type of power outages that you  have at your house.  I know that if the power goes at mine for more then ten seconds, it won't be back on in less then two hours.  Therefore, I have set the time for server shutdown to start when the power has been out for thirty seconds. 

You can also check to make sure the battery has not gone completely belly-up by connecting a couple of hundred watt incandescent lamps to the UPS, pull the plug, and see how long it will supply those lamps.

2 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

How old is the battery in that UPS?  IF more then two years old, that 25% number is probably a SWAG (Stupid wild a$$ Guess).   After you get thing working again, think carefully about the type of power outages that you  have at your house.  I know that if the power goes at mine for more then ten seconds, it won't be back on in less then two hours.  Therefore, I have set the time for server shutdown to start when the power has been out for thirty seconds. 

You can also check to make sure the battery has not gone completely belly-up by connecting a couple of hundred watt incandescent lamps to the UPS, pull the plug, and see how long it will supply those lamps.

I understand this, I work in a Datacenter, I only deal with Windows programs and thus need help with Umraid. My Linux is very rusty.

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] UNRAID not booting after safe shutdown from UPS
  • 2 years later...