Help with rsync with unassigned smb share

helvete

Hey all, 

Hoping the collective mind can help me figure out how to do this.

So I want to back up to an external drive on a standalone windows pc that I have backblaze running on but I want to have rsync sync the files daily to that drive. 

So easy past is done, I've added the SMB share in unassigned devices

I have my location and target set, but I keep getting an error:

rsync: [generator] recv_generator: mkdir "/mnt/remotes/192.168.0.101_F/docs/scans" failed: Permission denied (13)
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***

I'm figuring I've missed something simple

here's the script:

rsync -avz  /mnt/user/docs/scans/ /mnt/remotes/192.168.0.101_F/docs/scans/

So it sounds like you've got your external drive plugged into your Windows PC and Windows is managing a share that you've mounted on your Unraid system to copy your data to? Have I understood this correctly?

This would involve troubleshooting Windows's share setup, which is a little fiddly. I'd first use the Unraid Terminal to check the directory's permissions on the external drive share to ensure that Unraid is able to read and write to it. You can test it by creating a dummy text file in that share from the Unraid Terminal just to be sure.

You could do things such as:

ls -la /mnt/remotes/192.168.0.101_F/docs/scans/

That will show you the permissions of the directory indicated by the "." folder. Also any folders/files underneath that may have changed permissions and are not updatable by Unraid.

touch /mnt/remotes/192.168.0.101_F/docs/scans/testfile.txt

This will just create an empty text file in the share to ensure Unraid can write to it, at least, as the Unraid user you're logged into anyway.

That'd be my first sanity check to ensure the share is read/write -able. Reply with how those tests go, let's start at the simple steps.

Edited by cybersteel8
  • 2 months later...