Moved folders are not deleted from source in Windows

Hi, I'm moving a bunch of folders from an UnRAID pool to array in Windows and noticing that the source folders are not being deleted as they are moved.  Seems if I move them a few at a time, it works fine (and the source folder is deleted), but when I move say 150 at a time, the move gets very slow and fails.  Any ideas?

2 hours ago, Hammer8 said:

UnRAID pool to array in Windows

Just to clarify: You move via SMB from an Unraid pool to an Unraid array. Both are stored on the same Unraid server? And you did initiate that move from a Windows machine?

The data will travel thru your network completely (LAN/WLAN?). What size are we talking about? Wouldn't it be better to install one of the File-Managers in Docker (Krusader, ...)? These tools will move the data on your server. There's no network involved then.

Hi, I’m using Windows explorer to move the files and in total, it’s probably 30-40GB of data.  I’m trying again after a reboot of my UnRAID server and I’m finding I can’t even move a single folder that contains only 1 file of size 3GB.  It looks like it progresses, but in the end, it fails with an “unexpected” server error code 0x8007003A.  The specified server cannot complete the requested operation.  My only option is to either skip or cancel the operation.  I googled that error code and what I found was that it is related to running out of disk space, but I don’t believe that’s my issue since all the disks in the array have more than the 3GB of space needed to hold this file.

Additionally, I also tried copying the file (that resides on the UnRAID pool) to the Windows machine and that also fails with the same error code.  Trying to move the file results in the same error.  However, I am able to open the file from the UnRAID pool location and so it seems like the file is there and it’s not corrupted.  So strange!

I did try Krusader a while back, but found that it was not much faster since the server and my Windows machine is connected using 10G NIC’s and so Windows was easier for me.

BTW, I’m totally new to UnRAID and appreciate everyone’s help on this forum.

Edited by Hammer8

Hmmm…I think something is really wrong…I just tried using Krusader to move the files and while the move “finished” without error, I don’t see the files on the UnRAID Array, but they are gone from the UnRAID Pool!  However, the space on the Pool occupied by the files is also not freed.  Does that mean the files are still there on the disk but not listed in the directory?

Maybe I don’t understand how Krusader works.  Upon further testing, it seems like when I move a file using Windows, the file physically is moved from the Pool disks to the Array disks.  However, when I move a file using Krusader, it looks like only the pointer to the file is moved.  Is that by design?  

My shares are as follows:

UnraidX - this is the main array

PoolX - this is the Pool

And the files I am moving are going from PoolX\Landing to UnraidX\Landing

I had expected Krusader to physically move the files, but the process finished almost instantaneously, and so I am thinking it only moved the pointer.  

is there a way to physically move the files?  Right now, it appears my Pool is an “extension” of the main UnRAID Array.

Note, the Pool is not designated as a cache for the Array.

Edited by Hammer8