i7-11700K Build (Gaming & NAS)

shawnngtq

Hi Guys, currently looking to build a i7-11700k rig. Seeking some advise regarding my components.

Here is what I have in mind currently:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QmV7xc

OS at time of building:
CPU: Intel Core i7-11700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI Z590-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory
Case: NZXT H710i ATX Mid Tower Case
Drive Cage(s):
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
SATA Expansion Card(s):
Cables:
Fans: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Parity Drive: Western Digital Red 10 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Data Drives: Western Digital Red 10 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Cache Drive: Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 7000s 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Total Drive Capacity: 42/44 TB
Primary Use: Software development / Gaming / NAS
Add Ons Used:
Future Plans:
Boot (peak):
Idle (avg):
Active (avg):

Light use (avg):

I have 4 Western Digital Red 10 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive in my Synology NAS, I want to migrate over to Unraid. I have some questions:

1. From my understanding, I should have 2 Cache Drives? In this case, I was wondering if I should get 2 M.2.? I think the motherboard should work. Or should I use 1 M.2. + 1 SSD? Why?
  2. I am thinking of RTX 3070, should I get 3060 / 3080 instead? I wonder which would be best value for money and suits my use case
  3. Is there any specific components you think I should replace instead? Open to suggestion

In terms of VM OS, I will use Linux (best for development), Gaming using Steam Play.

Thanks!

Edited by shawnngtq
Readability
On 7/10/2021 at 10:32 AM, shawnngtq said:

I should have 2 Cache Drives?

Depends. There are some definite advantages to running a single drive with XFS format, and very few downsides. Running more than one drive in a cache pool requires BTRFS, which has some quirks. Either way you will have items that for performance reasons will stay on the pool long term, you need to have a backup strategy for those. How to best accomplish that depends on the specific type of thing, VM virtual disks, container persistent data, or just files that you want to have the highest possible speeds.

On 7/10/2021 at 10:32 AM, shawnngtq said:

Hard Drive in my Synology NAS, I want to migrate over to Unraid

Do you have enough space elsewhere to keep a copy of the data? Drives assigned to Unraid must be partitioned and formatted, you can't directly migrate disks full of data.

7 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Depends. There are some definite advantages to running a single drive with XFS format, and very few downsides. Running more than one drive in a cache pool requires BTRFS, which has some quirks. Either way you will have items that for performance reasons will stay on the pool long term, you need to have a backup strategy for those. How to best accomplish that depends on the specific type of thing, VM virtual disks, container persistent data, or just files that you want to have the highest possible speeds.

Do you have enough space elsewhere to keep a copy of the data? Drives assigned to Unraid must be partitioned and formatted, you can't directly migrate disks full of data.

My Synology has 4 disks, SHR-2, 10 TB each. I want to transfer all 4 disks to unraid. Was wondering what's the best way to do that without buying any additional disks. The total data is 9 TB, would fit in a single 10 TB disk.

I am thinking

1. Remove 1 disk from Synology, shouldn't be a problem for SHR-2. Make it into an unraid data disk. Copy the data from Synology > External hard disk > Unraid data disk

2. Remove 2nd disk from Synology, make it into a unraid parity disk

However, the risk in this approach is that now, my Synology has 2 disks (0 backup), my Unraid has 2 disks (1 data, 1 parity building). I think the parity check would take a few days, in this timeframe, both server have 0 backup, if any 1 of the 2 disks failed, I will lose the data. Perhaps I can poweroff Synology with 2 disks, so that the chance of disk dying is lower?

Any suggestions?

48 minutes ago, shawnngtq said:

Any suggestions?

A single copy of data is not backup, regardless of RAID level, Unraid parity, etc. RAID or Unraid only protects from disk failure, there are MANY more ways to lose data. Accidental or malicious deletion or corruption, user error...

You must have a second copy of any data that you value.

33 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

You must have a second copy of any data that you value.

I guess the easiest method for me is probably

1. Use all my old external hard disks to make a copy of the data, since I need to use them to transfer from Synology > Unraid

2. Or/and backup the data to AWS / GCP

For the 2nd copy of data, we need to have some backup / rsync script to ensure both copies are always sync right.

In general, what's the best method that is cost-saving and reliable you would recommend?

>80% of the 9TB data I have are all movies / tv, won't ever modify them.

Edited by shawnngtq
  • 4 months later...