Nas server 4k stream

Ok here’s my situation. I currently have a ReadyNas 212 with 2 bays with 12TB total. I’m now getting into 4k and want to be able to stream and transcode 4k movies. Looking to do a DIY and want some recommendations on what to build.  I’ve been searching but not really any luck on what to build… Any feedback I would appreciate.

Price around $1250 ish without drives (Will do Intel I5 or I7 12th gen unless there is issues with the 12th gen

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Networx2002/saved/TsLTYJ

Thanks

Well finished purchasing all my parts and it came out just over budget about about $500 ($1762)...  Now its time to assembly.

Edited by Networx2002
  • Networx2002 changed the title to Nas server 4k stream
3 hours ago, Networx2002 said:

Price around $750 ish

$750.- and 4k-transcoding? Maybe... but i think not...

See my signature - you can leave a few things out, but...

The Sys can transcode 4k to 1080p/12Mbit (Plex HW-Transcoding over iGPU) - price € 1.520.- (~ $ 1.800.-) "without" HDDs and SSDs...

(unraid Pro license and Plex-Pass for HW-Transcoding included)

FYI: 4k-transcoding on a CPU needs a "monster" of a CPU - 8 cores are not enough...

Edited by Zonediver
On 7/11/2021 at 3:24 AM, Networx2002 said:

I’m now getting into 4k and want to be able to stream and transcode 4k movies.

Transcoding 4K movies is not a trivial task.

You might consider a direct play option on a  $50-$80 media box attached to your TV.

Then a modestly specced and cheaply priced server is all you would need for non-transcoding streaming.

The media boxes are build on very specialized SOC's allowing them to easily play 4K SDR/HDR + HD audio streams.

If you decide to take that path, then I'd recommend purchasing one of the Odroid Amlogic based only boxes (C4 or N2+).

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/best-device-for-coreelec-in-2021/14348

They are nicely built units that are fully supported by Coreelec developers. https://coreelec.org/

Also suggest buying an eMMC module along with USB eMMC module writer.

Those are really worth the extra few bucks to simplify the Coreelec installation process.

The next step would be Installing Coreelec. 

Coreelec is a very small footprint Linux OS paired with a Kodi based GUI.

Kodi is a media player.

Edited by Lolight
16 hours ago, Zonediver said:

$750.- and 4k-transcoding? Maybe... but i think not...

See my signature - you can leave a few things out, but...

The Sys can transcode 4k to 1080p/12Mbit (Plex HW-Transcoding over iGPU) - price € 1.520.- (~ $ 1.800.-) "without" HDDs and SSDs...

(unraid Pro license and Plex-Pass for HW-Transcoding included)

FYI: 4k-transcoding on a CPU needs a "monster" of a CPU - 8 cores are not enough...

I don't mind spending more, just wanted a starting price. What mother board\CPU combo do you recommend?

• 1 month later...

I bought my last computer a few weeks ago. Given the fact I'm 51 I doubt I'll be buying full machines again, except for replacement parts and stuff like that. I've never had such a fast, peppy machine, and since this was my last I kind of went overkill on everything.

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair Dark Hero

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5950x

AIO: Kraken Z73 CPU liquid cooler

Memory: GSkill 32GBx2 - 3600

GPU: Asus Strix 3090 OC

Hard Drive 1: Western Digital NVMe PCIe V4 2TB

Hard Drive 2: Western Digital NVMe PCIe V4 2TB

Cables: Red & Black PSU Extension cables

PSU: 1000W Gold

Fans: 9x Black Noctua with black/red rubber corners

Webcam: Logitech Brio 4k

Microphone: Blue Yeti X

Addon: El Gato 4k60 Pro Capture Card

Case: Lian Li Dynamic Black

If you want to go with a server, go with Intel for the QuickSync.  GPU prices are crazy and will be that way for the foreseeable future.

I would recommend going with the player direct play route over the transcode though.  The Nvidia Shield is awesome and so glad I went with it.  Plus the people I share with are still watching stuff at 720p and don't care no matter how many times I try and "help" them.  Converting a 4k to 720p is just a waste.  Have another Movie group for 4K only and keep it for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I made the jump and ordered all my parts just over a week ago:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dreeas/saved/#view=wkcYdC

Moved all HDD´s from my NAS, and also impulse bought a RTX3060TI a couple of days ago to test out a gaming VM as well.

It´s been a real fun project, and I´ve setup the IGPU for Plex 4K transcoding as I have mainly 4K movies that I directplay on my Nvidia Shield, but friends and family also have access to my library and I have tested with 3 simultaneous 4K transcodes -> 1080 10mbit with no issue. All 4K files above 60mbit.

Have spent the weekend playing around with passing the new 3060 to a Windows VM and tested abit of gaming as well.

As a brand new computer builder and Unraid user its not exactly "out of the box" to say the least, but lots of Youtube and Unraid forums and I got it going.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...