{SOLVED} Shares disappeared, now nothing works

Good afternoon:

Came home to find my server SCREAMING.  Get in to see what's going on and apparently all my shares disappeared.  Not sure why that would make my server's fans go full-bore, but hey...whatever, I guess. 

Did some digging in the forum and found a bunch of really great threads about this sort of thing happening.  Seems pretty common...save the logs, hit it with a reboot.  Cool, fine, whatever...even if my nearly 203 day uptime is gone.  😢

image.png.4dab7cd2538054a0b35894b51e7c187c.png

I just can NOT get to a year.  Made it about this long last time when the power went out, too.  Oh well.

Anyway...I hit it with the reboot and now...nothing works.  VMs are on by default and one, my security camera VM, starts automatically but I can't even get into the VMs tab to see what's going on.  If I DO manage to get it to load, I can't stop any VMs and, when I VNC into my security cam VM, it's just a black screen... 

Docker is screwed up, too...they all show up and all but I can't stop any of them. 

It's like everything is...stuck...

Maybe the USB drive is almost dead?  I dunno.  I poked around through the logs and didn't see anything immediately but then again, I don't know what I'm looking for, either.

Any ideas?  

Thank you!!

"2052" log is what I took before the first reboot, "2132" log is what I took before the second time I rebooted it.

tower-syslog-20210710-2052.zip tower-syslog-20210710-2132.zip

This reminds me a lot of the problem I've been having lately where the UI simply stops working.  I made a couple posts about it in the past, including this one relatively recently, and have yet to be able to find a cause or solution.  Sometimes, tabs (almost always the VM or Docker tab) just sit there...they take FOREVER to load, if they ever do.  Often they sit like this, blank:

image.thumb.png.101fc8f104b17f653a154765c0be7297.png

Maybe the USB drive has just been dying a slow death this whole time?  I think I'll replace it, just to see if it helps.

Edited by rmp5s

ANOTHER error I've never seen before.  SWEET!  They're like Pokemon!!  GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!!

image.png.43a43060428fdfbc16f4c10eab4e64b2.png

I'm so annoyed...USB creator thing doesn't work, VM backup thing doesn't work, a drive is dying...LITERALLY everything is broken right now and I have no idea why.

So...seriously...anyone have any ideas as to why my ENTIRE SERVER has decided to implode today?

Edited by rmp5s

You are getting continual I/O errors on a device SanDisk_SSD_PLUS_2036B2802141 so maybe that is the cause of your problems?   I think it is probably sn Unassigned Device but I am not sure.  Since yo did not provide the full diagnostics zip file (which contains more than the syslog) it was no possible to check ings like he SMART information.

Would suggest you definite;y want to check cabling to that drive at the very least.

That drive is the SSD for my security cameras VM. If it's dying, hey...no big deal! Can definitely replace it. Easy fix.

But why would that cause everything ELSE to freak out? Like, now one of my array drives is dead, too.

And don't even get me started on that damn USB creator thing. lol

Hmm...apparently I got the wrong logs?

2 hours ago, rmp5s said:

Hmm...apparently I got the wrong logs

Not the wrong logs - but the incomplete set of diagnostic files.    The zip file you get via Tools->Diagnostics has much more than just logs in it.

2 hours ago, rmp5s said:

That drive is the SSD for my security cameras VM. If it's dying, hey...no big deal! Can definitely replace it. Easy fix.

But why would that cause everything ELSE to freak out? Like, now one of my array drives is dead, too.

It may not be that drive - but with it writing so many error messages to the log it is easy to miss something else of significance.

So, the server is shut down right now. Has been since yesterday. If a drive really is bad, I don't want to/need to risk losing my data. (I installed Blue Iris on my desktop, connected it to that Wi-Fi network and imported a backup...BOOM...back up and running like nothing happened!!)

What I'm going to do is pull both of those drives and start it up...see what happens. If it's fine, I'll put one back in...etc. 

We shall see. 

Will let you all know! Thank you!

I pulled The SanDisk out as well as the failed Disk1 and...well...I'm not sure.  I don't know if it's working better now or not and I'm nervous about running the thing without parity protection so it's still shut down.  Going to replace the drives.  HOPEFULLY that fixes it.

56 minutes ago, rmp5s said:

I pulled The SanDisk out as well as the failed Disk1 and...well...I'm not sure.  I don't know if it's working better now or not and I'm nervous about running the thing without parity protection so it's still shut down.  Going to replace the drives.  HOPEFULLY that fixes it.

Since you still haven't provided Diagnostics difficult to say what your situation is or give any further advice. I'm a little worried that you might be making things worse since we can't help you. Replacing the drives may not be the correct solution, or even possible without data loss. We can't tell.

Drive replaced, parity rebuilt...everything seems fine.  I guess that drive just died.  <shrug>

I got a 1TB drive for the VM instead of a 2TB drive (oops) so I have to order a 2TB one but I'll dd that over once I get it and I expect it to be fine.  Everything is looking good so far.

Thanks, everyone!

• rmp5s changed the title to {SOLVED} Shares disappeared, now nothing works