Looking for some advice re: cache drive best practices

I have a 1TB 2.5" SSD (current cache drive formatted XFS) and recently added a 2TB NVMe, which I haven't allocated yet.

Ideally I think I would like to separate my Docker APPDATA and cached shares (on separate physical drives), as I have started to run out of cache space for my shares on occasion, requiring me to schedule the mover more frequently (more than once a day), which has it's pros and cons.

My APPDATA folder is around 500GB, and includes Plex Server (large media collection), and Nextcloud along with other common dockers (NZBGet, Sonarr, Lidarr, Radarr etc. etc.)  I'm backing up APPDATA to the array once a week via the CA Backup Tool.  I would like to leverage Nextcloud a bit more going forward, storing scanned bills etc., along with other documents.

If I mount the new 2TB NVMe via unassigned devices, and move my APPDATA folder, I assume CA Backup tool could still backup from the new location?  Then just use the 1TB SSD for cached shares?

Open to feedback and ideas.  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, jbear said:

I have a 1TB 2.5" SSD (current cache drive formatted XFS) and recently added a 2TB NVMe, which I haven't allocated yet.

Ideally I think I would like to separate my Docker APPDATA and cached shares (on separate physical drives), as I have started to run out of cache space for my shares on occasion, requiring me to schedule the mover more frequently (more than once a day), which has it's pros and cons.

My APPDATA folder is around 500GB, and includes Plex Server (large media collection), and Nextcloud along with other common dockers (NZBGet, Sonarr, Lidarr, Radarr etc. etc.)  I'm backing up APPDATA to the array once a week via the CA Backup Tool.  I would like to leverage Nextcloud a bit more going forward, storing scanned bills etc., along with other documents.

If I mount the new 2TB NVMe via unassigned devices, and move my APPDATA folder, I assume CA Backup tool could still backup from the new location?  Then just use the 1TB SSD for cached shares?

Open to feedback and ideas.  Thanks.

If you are running 6.9.2 then you could just set up another pool rather than use it as an unassigned device.   Doing that way means the new pool can participate in User Share whereas a UD managed drive cannot.