Upgrading my server - pointers wanted

Hey guys,

I'm about to upgrade my Unraid server, and wanted to check in with you to see if there is anything I'm forgetting or should change before taking the leap.

I'm currently on 6.8.2 running on an old Proliant ML350 G6 - 2x Xeon 5650x, 40GB ECC RAM. Drives are attached via a SAS-expander through an LSI (9207-8e I believe) controller. I'm running about 25 Dockers and 2-4 VMs. I've got a 1TB SSD as the main Cache, a 250GB SSD through Unassigned drives for my VMs and a 1TB spinner throught Unassigned drives for temporary downloads (for the extraction).

Now I want to upgrade to something a bit more lightweight (power/noise-wise) while keeping most of the oomph. I'm also getting a NVME drive for database performance. 

Here is my hardware purchase list. I've got a chassis and a PSU. It's a downgrade on the RAM-capacity, but I've got room to expand if need be. I'm choosing previous generation Ryzen as it's more affordable and accessible than the newer 5600X counterpart with roughly the same performance.

• Ryzen 7 3700X
  • 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4-3600 DC C18
  • GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO

• WD Black SN850 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 - 500GB

I plan on upgrading to 6.9 and make use of the new cache pools. This is the plan:

1. NVMe drive for Dockers, including the various database applications (InfluxDB for metrics/Grafana, MariaDB for NextCloud, MySQL for various applications/development). Shares using this drive will prefer cache
  2. Existing 1TB SSD as my "main" cache which will recieve writes such as downloads and file transfers. Shares that use this will be set up to move to array
  3. Existing 250GB SSD will continue to hold my VMs

Now as far as I can tell I should be able to build the new server, move the SAS-controller and USB-drive and it should boot into Unraid. I'll then have to set up the new cache pools and be good to go, right?

I'd love some input if you've got some. Thanks!

Edited by Fredrick