Selling my license

Good afternoon,

I have two unraid servers. one with 8 drives (2tb/drive) and another unraid server with 12bays (4tb/drives).

1 unraid server is only used for plex - this is the unraid with the 48tb of disks. The other server has all of my docker apps feeding the files to the plex server.  This works extremely well.

The only reason I have done this is to reduce the load on both servers as the mb, cpu, memory is not that awesome. 

I am now planning to upgrade mb,cpu and memory on the system that has the 12 drives. I therefore will no longer need the server with 8drives.

Was wondering if I sell the system as is ... including unraid, can I transfer that license to another owner ?  

Please advise.

46 minutes ago, johnwhicker said:

What if one decides to sell the entire system to someone else?  That includes the key as well, right? That's not a transfer, is a sale.

And if the new owner of the server needs to upgrade the licence or request a USB change or something else ?

The licence would have to be transferred to a different email/name.

Damn @remotevisitor... That document is something most people don't read...

"We make use of Google Analytics to track non-personally identifying information" (<-- from your agreement that you agreed to).

Personally, I think anyone should be able to transfer their license. Some people will argue there should be a "value add" and others will agree there's no way to quantify it.

16 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

And if the new owner of the server needs to upgrade the licence or request a USB change or something else ?

The licence would have to be transferred to a different email/name.

Here is my take  :)  A sale is a SALE.  When I sale or buy a house I don't "transfer" my contacts.  I change them and is called change of ownership.   When I purchased my home I inherited a very nice automation system and software. It was very easy to change the contacts for support and further upgrades. 

Edited by johnwhicker

In the past we have had reports on the forum of people "selling" on an Unraid system to another person.

Sometime later, when the next release comes out, the buyer finds they cannot upgrade because the flash drive for their system has been blacklisted.

The seller had used the mechanism for transferring the license to another flash drive which blacklists the flash drive that was sold.

1 hour ago, johnwhicker said:

It was very easy to change the contacts for support and further upgrades. 

Only because the specific companies you were dealing with allowed it. Unraid has a very clear policy, and the work involved to change that policy in a way that protects both users and Limetech is not trivial.

Since Limetech doesn't charge for upgrades, and licenses I got 10+ years ago are still valid, it's not fair to expect them to allow unlimited transfers for free. I'd like Limetech to make as much money as they need to for continued development. They set the prices and policies, and they've been extremely generous over the years. I think it's perfectly fair to expect new users to get a new license.

There is nothing keeping you from allowing someone else to use your license if you so choose, with or without the accompanying hardware, but any relationship with Limetech stays with the original purchaser. If you wanted to, you could continue to provide paid support to your buyer on your own time and deal with Limetech on their behalf. Limetech doesn't keep people from charging independently for support of Unraid. As a matter of fact, initially you can purchase a license for the express purpose of reselling it, and assign the license to someone else. Once the license is assigned, it stays there permanently.

• Like 2

Agree to disagree and I honestly have no dogs in this race.  I am perfectly happy with what I have, I have no intentions to transfer of change ownership, but it will be a waste of my money if I no longer need unRaid and I can't re-sale or even gift it.  Shoot, I can re-sale or gift just about anything else from homes, cars, boats, cameras to automation systems :)  But again I am not here to agree or disagree, is just my personal opinion.....

Edited by johnwhicker
46 minutes ago, johnwhicker said:

it will be a waste of my money if I no longer need unRaid

But you used it until that time. Do you honestly expect to use it for free?

And like I said, nothing prevents you from passing on your licensed USB stick. It will continue to function, it's not like Limetech disables anything.

What I'm hearing from you is that you would rather pay a periodic fee like the vast majority of software instead of a single initial purchase. That way you wouldn't feel like you were losing anything if you decide to stop using Unraid.

22 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

But you used it until that time. Do you honestly expect to use it for free?

And like I said, nothing prevents you from passing on your licensed USB stick. It will continue to function, it's not like Limetech disables anything.

What I'm hearing from you is that you would rather pay a periodic fee like the vast majority of software instead of a single initial purchase. That way you wouldn't feel like you were losing anything if you decide to stop using Unraid.

Well let's analyze this a bit, shall we, since you're taking such a strong interest into this scenario and my position on this matter.

I really don't follow the "free" statement honestly. I don't expect free and that's not what I am saying.  But anyway, let's say I buy a license and use it for 3 months, I am unhappy with the product or it just no longer fits my requirements, so I turn around around and sale my system which of course comes with the license.  So yes to answer your question is a waste of my money if I can't turn around and recover some cost, after just 3 months of use.

What you're hearing from me is what you think you want to hear or your interpretation of this matter :) I never spoke or mentioned about a periodic fee or anything like that.  That's a can of worms you don't want to open. Milking the cow is not my favorite type of licensing models and usually I walk away from that, not just walk away but actually RUN :)  Is my money and is my choice to what licensing models I support and give my money to.  Is just business, nothing personal :) 

This is my last statement on this matter as I feel that I am taking too much valuable time and real estate from support topics :)  Again agree, to disagree, respectfully  :) 

Edited by johnwhicker
  • Like 3
  • 10 months later...