Advice on build

Hello, 

I am currently setting up a new build to run unraid. It will be used for windows network drive to backup all my files and also as a plex server. I have a budget of £100 - £150. I already have: HDDs, SSDs, 16GB RAM (DDR3 & DDR4), radeon 7850 GPU (old i know) and a case. My question is I have a ryzen 1600 CPU, no cooler. The motherboard I have for the CPU is Aorus B450 AORUS PRO. I want a board that can run two HBA cards to cover all my hdd's (Case: 4U Server Case w/ 24x 3.5" Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS Drive Bays, 6Gb/s MiniSAS - Server Case) and also have a graphics card in for transcoding. I do not want to run plex 4k just normal 1080. I have looked at buying 

Supermicro X9SCL-F & a E3-1230 which I can get at around £100.

- So I suppose my main questions are should I go for the Xeon setup or stick with my ryzen CPU?
- If i stick with the ryzen CPU should I get a new motherboard if so which one? Or will my B450 be sufficent?
- Should I throw my radeon 7850 out and buy a new GPU if so which one would fit my budget?
Would also need to factor in cost for cooler if I went with ryzen.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by limabeann

If you are an "expert", you can use AMD-hardware - when you know what to expect...

I stay away from AMD since 11(!) years because there are a lot of restrictions and other strange things...

Regarding Plex: If you plan to use HW-transcoding, go for Intel and a iGPU - at least a system with a Gen 7 CPU (with Intel HD630 Graphic) or newer.

Edited by Zonediver

Thanks for the reply, I would love to go down that route with gen 7 xeon but the cost is a bit out my budget at the moment. Can seem to find a cpu for less then 200. Even came across this joke haha: https://www.servercase.co.uk/shop/components/cpu/intel-xeon-e3-1245-v6-s-1151-kaby-lake-quad-core-8-thread-37ghz-41ghz-turbo-8mb-hd-graphics-p630-73w-tdp-cpu-bx80677e31245v6/

Another idea I have had is getting a better ryzen cpu and a p400. Would there be any speed constraints if I put a p400 in the one slot and a hba card in the motherboard. If it would be OK which order should I put them in? I was thinking p400 in top slot and hba in middle slot but I'm worried x4 pci wouldn't be enough for the hba card

Edited by limabeann