[SOLVED] security question - add security to (unraid)share accesed by linux client

Hi,

I am running on latest stable. I am reviewing security in general of my setup(unraid). I am running a linux vm and from there I am accesing an unraid share(called ISOS).

I did this to access ISOS:

-within the xml:

image.png.a25aef1efb91ebb141095eedd5b7c03a.png

-within the vm:

sudo -s nano /etc/fstab

isos /home/ws1/isos 9p trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,_netdev,rw 0 0

Now, I realised I do not need to create a user equivalent to my vm user to access this share. So I guess it means if I get ransomware infected it has direct access to my ISOS share.

Can I setup the same I do have in my windows vm where my share is only accesible if I enter a user/password matching the windows user/password? In this scenario I can setup in the USER tab the following:

SMB Security Settings> "export": yes + "security": private

SMB User Access> "user"=read only

Rgds

Edited by luca2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 7:04 PM, ljm42 said:

If you want to enforce SMB share permissions, have the Linux VM connect to Unraid using SMB instead of 9p

thx for support!!! I had some trouble due to some missing packages in XFCE. After I installed them the SMB shares were visible.

• luca2 changed the title to [SOLVED] security question - add security to (unraid)share accesed by linux client