.DS_Store Error Reported

Hi,

I've been using the standard .DS_Store removal package for the last week, but last night it kicked me an email with the following error:

find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc: this may be a bug in your filesystem driver.  Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option.  Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.

Can any tell me if this is bad, will recur, and what I can do to remedy?

Thank you so much!

Hi,

I've been using the standard .DS_Store removal package for the last week, but last night it kicked me an email with the following error:

find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc: this may be a bug in your filesystem driver.  Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option.  Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.

Can any tell me if this is bad, will recur, and what I can do to remedy?

Thank you so much!

I have never seen that message from either my test server or my production server.  Would you mind giving a little more information about your setup?

A complete hardware setup would be nice along with a folder structure.

When I get a chance I will take a look at the package again to see what might be happening.

Absolutely - here is my setup:

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X8SIL-F-O

Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 240-Pin DDR3

CPU: Intel Xeon X3440 Lynnfield 2.53GHz

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX

Backplane: NORCO SS-500 5 Bay SATA

Hard disks (2TB): 3 x Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

There is also a USB hard disk plugged in and connected using SNAP.

Folder structure is as follows (using user shares):

/mnt/user/TV/Series_name/Season_no/Episode.mkv

/mnt/user/Movies-DVD/Movie_name/Movies.mkv (or VIDEO_TS)

/mnt/user/Movies-Bluray/ (currently unused)

/mnt/user/replaced/ (old un-encoded files)

/mnt/disk/disk1/ and /mnt/disk/disk2

/mnt/disk/usb/ (various files)

Is that sufficient detail?

• 3 weeks later...

I sent to new version of the script to JoeL for inclusion in an unMenu update.

I got the error again last night... how does one get an update of the script?  Would it get automatically pushed in unmenu, or do I need to update the unmenu "package"?  Do you know indeed if it's even been put into an updated unmenu yet?

Thank you!

I sent to new version of the script to JoeL for inclusion in an unMenu update.

I got the error again last night... how does one get an update of the script?  Would it get automatically pushed in unmenu, or do I need to update the unmenu "package"?  Do you know indeed if it's even been put into an updated unmenu yet?

Thank you!

I honestly do not know.  I have been busy with other stuff, as I know JoeL has.  You will need to do a check for updates from within unMenu.

I have not checked for updates on my servers as of late... will try to do that when I get a chance.  If I don't see it included I will drop a line to JoeL and maybe attach it to this thread... just remind me in a couple of days if it does not appear either place.

Excellent - thank you very much... I've updated and will keep my eyes open for future errors.

OK, so I kind of lied... more like did not check close enough before making my previous post(s). Anyway, the code for the more updated version of the package is below.  Just copy this into a file, name it the same as the old DS_Store package and replace the old one.  You will have to disable reinstall and then install this new one.

#UNMENU_RELEASE $Revision: 207 $ $Date: 2010-12-30 23:57:49 -0500 (Thu, 30 Dec 2010) $
PACKAGE_NAME DS_Store and ._ file cleanup script
PACKAGE_DESCR The purpose of this script is to remove the .DS_Store, .Trashes, .fseventsd and ._ files that Mac OS X creates
PACKAGE_DESCR when viewing a file through Finder. Please see the <A HREF="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron" target="_blank">wikipedia entry on Cron</A>
PACKAGE_DESCR to get a better idea on how cron works. <b>There is no error checking for the removal time entered, so please be careful
PACKAGE_DESCR when entering your desired time.
PACKAGE_URL none
PACKAGE_FILE ds_store_cleanup
PACKAGE_INSTALLED /var/log/ds_store_cleanup
PACKAGE_DEPENDENCIES none
PACKAGE_VARIABLE Remove .DS_Store schedule||vDS_REMOVAL_TIME=42 3 * * *||If blank, this removal will not be run. If set to a valid "crontab" time, it will be scheduled.
PACKAGE_VARIABLE Remove ._"file" schedule||vUSF_REMOVAL_TIME=42 3 * * *||If blank, this removal will not be run. If set to a valid "crontab" time, it will be scheduled.
PACKAGE_VARIABLE Remove .Spotlight-V100 schedule||vSPOTLIGHT_REMOVAL_TIME=42 3 * * *||If blank, this removal will not run.  If set to a valid "crontab" time, it will be scheduled.
PACKAGE_VARIABLE Remove .Trashes schedule||vTRASHES_REMOVAL_TIME=42 3 * * *||If blank, this removal will not run.  If set to a valid "crontab" time, it will be scheduled.
PACKAGE_VARIABLE Remove .fseventsd schedule||vFSEVENTSD_REMOVAL_TIME=42 3 * * *||If blank, this removal will not run.  If set to a valid "crontab" time, it will be scheduled.
PACKAGE_VARIABLE List deleted files||vPrint=0||If set to 0 (default) then no listing of deleted files will occur, if set to 1 then a listing of files deleted will be mailed to the root user by the cron process.
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION crontab -l | egrep -v "(DS_Store files|\".DS_Store\" -depth|Removing ._ files|-name \"._\*\" -depth|Spotlight-V100 folders|\".Spotlight-V100\" -depth|Trashes folders|\".Trashes\" -depth|fseventsd folders|\".fseventsd\" -depth)" >/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION if [ "${vDS_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vDS_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" != 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   echo "${vDS_REMOVAL_TIME} is not a valid <b>crontab</b> time."
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   echo "No changes made."
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   exit
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION fi
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION if [ "${vUSF_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vUSF_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" != 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   echo "${vUSF_REMOVAL_TIME} is not a valid <b>crontab</b> time."
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION fi
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION if [ "${vSPOTLIGHT_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vSPOTLIGHT_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" != 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   echo "${vSPOTLIGHT_REMOVAL_TIME} is not a valid <b>crontab</b> time."
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION fi
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION if [ "${vTRASHES_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vTRASHES_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" != 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   echo "${vTRASHES_REMOVAL_TIME} is not a valid <b>crontab</b> time."
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION fi
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION if [ "${vFSEVENTSD_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vFSEVENTSD_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" != 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION   echo "${vFSEVENTSD_REMOVAL_TIME} is not a valid <b>crontab</b> time."
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION fi
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION if [ "${vPrint}" -ne "1" ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION    if [ "${vDS_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vDS_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" = 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "# Removing .DS_Store files" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "${vDS_REMOVAL_TIME} find /mnt/disk[1-?]/ /mnt/cache/ /boot -name \".DS_Store\" -depth -exec rm \"{}\" ';'>/dev/null 2>&1" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION    fi
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION    if [ "${vUSF_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vUSF_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" = 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "# Removing ._ files" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "${vUSF_REMOVAL_TIME} find /mnt/disk[1-?]/ /mnt/cache/ /boot -name \"._*\" -depth -exec rm \"{}\" ';'>/dev/null 2>&1" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION    if [ "${vSPOTLIGHT_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vSPOTLIGHT_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" = 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "# Removing .Spotlight-V100 folders" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "${vSPOTLIGHT_REMOVAL_TIME} find /mnt/disk[1-?]/ /mnt/cache/ /boot -name \".Spotlight-V100\" -depth -exec rm -r \"{}\" ';'>/dev/null 2>&1" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION    if [ "${vTRASHES_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vTRASHES_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" = 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "# Removing .Trashes folders" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "${vTRASHES_REMOVAL_TIME} find /mnt/disk[1-?]/ /mnt/cache/ /boot -name \".Trashes\" -depth -exec rm -r \"{}\" ';'>/dev/null 2>&1" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION    if [ "${vFSEVENTSD_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vFSEVENTSD_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" = 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "# Removing .fseventsd folders" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "${vFSEVENTSD_REMOVAL_TIME} find /mnt/disk[1-?]/ /mnt/cache/ /boot -name \".fseventsd\" -depth -exec rm -r \"{}\" ';'>/dev/null 2>&1" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION else
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION    if [ "${vDS_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vDS_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" = 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "# Removing .DS_Store files" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "${vDS_REMOVAL_TIME} find /mnt/disk[1-?]/ /mnt/cache/ /boot -name \".DS_Store\" -depth -print -exec rm \"{}\" ';'" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION    if [ "${vUSF_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vUSF_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" = 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "# Removing ._ files" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "${vUSF_REMOVAL_TIME} find /mnt/disk[1-?]/ /mnt/cache/ /boot -name \"._*\" -depth -print -exec rm \"{}\" ';'" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION    if [ "${vSPOTLIGHT_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vSPOTLIGHT_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" = 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "# Removing .Spotlight-V100 folders" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "${vSPOTLIGHT_REMOVAL_TIME} find /mnt/disk[1-?]/ /mnt/cache/ /boot -name \".Spotlight-V100\" -depth -print -exec rm -r \"{}\" ';'>/dev/null 2>&1" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION    if [ "${vTRASHES_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vTRASHES_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" = 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "# Removing .Trashes folders" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "${vTRASHES_REMOVAL_TIME} find /mnt/disk[1-?]/ /mnt/cache/ /boot -name \".Trashes\" -depth -print -exec rm -r \"{}\" ';'>/dev/null 2>&1" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION    if [ "${vFSEVENTSD_REMOVAL_TIME}" != "" -a "`echo \"${vFSEVENTSD_REMOVAL_TIME}\"|wc -w`" = 5 ]; then
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "# Removing .fseventsd folders" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION       echo "${vFSEVENTSD_REMOVAL_TIME} find /mnt/disk[1-?]/ /mnt/cache/ /boot -name \".fseventsd\" -depth -print -exec rm -r \"{}\" ';'>/dev/null 2>&1" >>/tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION fi
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION crontab /tmp/crontab
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION cp /tmp/crontab /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root-
PACKAGE_INSTALLATION echo "Version: 1.4" >/var/log/ds_store_cleanup
PACKAGE_VERSION_TEST grep "Version:" /var/log/ds_store_cleanup | awk '{print $2}'
PACKAGE_VERSION_STRING 1.4
PACKAGE_MEMORY_USAGE Small

Joe L has been busy and has not had a chance to get it into unMenu for distribution.

I have been running the above posted script for a while not without the issue reported in this thread.  Those errors were because I was just searching for files from / onwards.  stuff in /proc changes so often that the find command would see it but when it came back to act on what it had seen it no longer existed, and therefore threw the error.

The new script specifically stays out of those places.

• 3 years later...

Hi...

Been using this script for a long time.  Had my flash drive crash today and had to put files on a new drive and get back up and running.

The issue is when I try to run the install from within UnMenu Packages, I get...

ds_store_cleanup installation:

ds_store_cleanup apparently did not install properly, /var/log/ds_store_cleanup does not exist.

If I look at the crontab I do see that it seems to have setup...

# Removing .DS_Store files

42 3 * * * find /mnt/disk[1-9]*/  /boot -name ".DS_Store" -depth -exec rm "{}" ';'>/dev/null 2>&1

# Removing ._ files

42 3 * * * find /mnt/disk[1-9]*/  /boot -name "._*" -depth -exec rm "{}" ';'>/dev/null 2>&1

# Removing .Spotlight-V100 folders

42 3 * * * find /mnt/disk[1-9]*/  /boot -name ".Spotlight-V100" -depth -exec rm -r "{}" ';'>/dev/null 2>&1

# Removing .Trashes folders

42 3 * * * find /mnt/disk[1-9]*/  /boot -name ".Trashes" -depth -exec rm -r "{}" ';'>/dev/null 2>&1

# Removing .fseventsd folders

42 3 * * * find /mnt/disk[1-9]*/  /boot -name ".fseventsd" -depth -exec rm -r "{}" ';'>/dev/null 2>&1

But Package Manager surely does not think it is installed.

DS_Store and ._ file cleanup script

Not Installed

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

100% the same thing here as above.  Had my usb drive die and had to make a new one.  Same issue.  It used to work just fine.

/var/log/ds_store_cleanup does not exist

Any help?

When the script was last modified one of the lines mentioning /var/log was not changed to /tmp.

(Apparently, /var/log no longer exists on newer versions of unRAID)

My other server is off-line at the moment, and it is the one I use to update google.code, but attached is the updated ds_cleanup .conf file.

un-zip it in your unmenu directory on your flash drive.  When you re-start unMENU, it will be copied to your packages directory for you.

Joe L.

ds_store_cleanup-unmenu-package.zip

Thanks Joe!  Using a Mac you get a lot of those files and this plugin has been great to say the least.

You are welcome.

I'm not a Mac user, although I do use an Apple  30" Cinema HD display (at 2,560 x 1,600) as the center monitor at my workstation at my office.  The larger Apple screen (and set of three screens) really does help when coding...