Frustrated, still getting crashes. syslog write errors?

I am starting to get frequent problems with Unraid.  It always seems to happen in the middle of the night, or when I'm at work.  It's frustrating when the wife and kids complain when I get out of work and I have to try to trouble shoot.  So, help me with my marriage.

I'm attaching dianostics, and syslog.

The system was up and running around 03:00am local, and was problematic when I notices around 14:00 local. The screen GUI was up on the local box but unresponsive. SSH was not working.  WebGui was not working.

I did have a drive problem yesterday that was solved in another thread (xfs_repair), though I suspect unrelated since this current issue is an ongoing issue.  This has happened repeatedly, and requires a hard reset, which unfortunately then starts a parity check which runs around 36 hours.

Any ideas?

orcrist-diagnostics-20210717-1558.zip orcrist-syslog-20210717-2207.zip

Thanks, Jorge. I had another crash while I was at work. I'll upload it in the morning. I had enabled a system log but had it writing to a local file and backing it up every 10 minutes. I was worried that backing it up to the flash drive would write too much data. Is that really an issue?

Do I need to take the file off of the flash drive before I restart unRAID? If I restart the system will it overwrite the existing log file? Just curious about the order that I should do things.

Edited by mikesp18
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 8:42 AM, JorgeB said:

There's nothing logged about the crash:

Aug 16 23:01:10 Orcrist rc.inet1: ip link set lo down
Aug 17 08:06:25 Orcrist kernel: microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0xde, date =

This usually indicates a hardware problem.

I think I figured it out.  The UPS Daemon was triggering the shutdown I think.  Unclear why, it is at full power.  But, that's the least bad thing it could be.

• Like 1

orcrist-diagnostics-20210821-2347.zipsyslog.zip

I'm getting pretty frustrated.  I'm crashing roughly once every other day at this point.  I thought the problem was the UPS triggering shutdowns, but alas, it's no longer hooked up via UPS. No recent hardware changes.  The only thing obvious in the syslog is this message spammed 1000 times (exageration).  ANy ideas?  Tonight looks like around Aug 21 23:21, system was still powered on, the webui wouldn't log in, and physical screen was crashed at the GUI login screen, and the keyboard was unresponsive.

Does this mean anything useful?

Aug 21 23:21:48 Orcrist rsyslogd: file '/var/log/syslog'[9] write error - see https://www.rsyslog.com/solving-rsyslog-write-errors/ for help OS error: No space left on device [v8.2002.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2027 ]
Aug 21 23:21:48 Orcrist rsyslogd: action 'action-0-builtin:omfile' (module 'builtin:omfile') message lost, could not be processed. Check for additional error messages before this one. [v8.2002.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2027 ]