Replacing QNAP NAS with Unraid - new build

netall

OK.

So, right now I have a QNAP TS-451 (Celeron) with 8 GB RAM and 4x4TB Seagate NAS HDDs (about 5 years old).

My use case is quite simple as I do not need VMs or any complex setup, I only keep my video collection, family photos, loseless music and other personal data and I use Emby (or Plex) to broadcast media to my TVs and mobile devices.

I want to build my first Unraid NAS and I was looking at the following parts:

Case: Fractal Design Node 304 or Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 (Nanoxia seems to be better suited sound and cooling-wise for 6HDDs, while the Node 304 looks better and fits better in my cabinet... very small price difference but I think I should go with Nanoxia)

MB: MSI B460M-A PRO (Socket 1200, 6 SATAs)

CPU: Pentium Gold G6405 (2 cores, 4 threads, integrated graphics, nothing to write home about)

MEM: Kingston HyperX FURY Black 2x8GB 2666Mhz, CAS 16

HDDs: 6x8TB Seagate Ironwolf PRO (1 or 2 drives parity)

Power: Seasonic Core GC, 80+ Gold, 500W

First of all, how does it look like?

Except the HDDs, Is this OK for my use case?

If not, what should I change?

Second, as I have only 4x8TB right now, do you see any issues if I want to add 2 more in the array at a later date to expand the capacity?

Third and last, is there any reason to add a 256GB SSD (M2) in the configuration, will it bring any performance improvement? From what I read Unraid OS will reside on an external USB, so it does not look like adding an SSD will do any good!

Any advice is really appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

9 hours ago, netall said:

Case: Fractal Design Node 304 or Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 (Nanoxia seems to be better suited sound and cooling-wise for 6HDDs, while the Node 304 looks better and fits better in my cabinet

The selected motherboard won't fit into the Node 304 case. It's designed to accept mini-ITX boards.

MSI B460M-A PRO is a larger micro-ATX.

On another note, the thermal qualities of both of those cases don't seem to be all that great.

Have you considered the Node 804 case?

It's designed to accept micro-ATX boards and has superior thermals (to keep HDD's as cool as possible).

Edited by Lolight
1 hour ago, Lolight said:

The selected motherboard won't fit into the Node 304 case. It's designed to accept mini-ITX boards.

Too true, I just noticed... not sure how that got past me as I have studied both cases in detail! :)

I do have a Node 804 that houses my gaming PC - that also needs an upgrade (especially MB and CPU)- so, maybe, I might still buy a 304 and switch some things around... gaming PC in 304 and NAS in 804.

Thanks for pointing this out!