Is there a way to use iGPU for Plex and NVIDIA GPU for VM

Been trying to get this to work for 2 days.

At first I thought it was a settings problem until I booted the server with the HDMI plugged into the NVIDIA GPU.

I can only start one or the other. If I have Plex running (docker with IGPU for transcode), the VM does not run. If I boot the VM, Plex wont run.

Any solution to this?

I have dummy plugs on both the IGPU and NVIDIA GPU.

Edited by ishtangli
  • ishtangli changed the title to Is there a way to use iGPU for Plex and NVIDIA GPU for VM

Please provide a little more information please, which iGPU do you want to use for Plex, if it's a Intel one it should be possible AMD is still not supported from what I know in Plex.

But in general it should be possible to do so, even if you got AMD iGPU you can use Jellyfin for HW transcoding (similar to Plex but self hosted and free).

Did a bit more testing in the Bios and got it working.

Below settings are for ASUS motherboards:

Primary Graphics had to be set to PEG (options were: Auto, CPU graphics, PEG, PCIE - not sure what the difference is between PEG and PCIE).

Boot in LEGACY mode - not sure if this really matters but it's working so am gonna leave it.

iGPU Multi-Monitor set to Enabled

No dummy plug on IGPU.

Edited by ishtangli
29 minutes ago, ishtangli said:

Did a bit more testing in the Bios and got it working.

You have not answered the question, what CPU are you using? Without answering the questions no one can help you...

not sure what the difference is between PEG and PCIE

PEG = integrated graphics

PCIe = dedicated GPU

iGPU Multi-Monitor set to Enabled

You don't have to enable this.

No dummy plug on IGPU.

This can cause problems on some systems if you use a dGPU.

The easiest way to enable the iGPU is to install the Intel GPU TOP plugin from the CA App and also the GPU Statistics plugin from the CA App to see your iGPU utilisation.

(That only applies of you have a Intel system)

I also would recommend to bind you dGPU that you want to use in a VM to VFIO.

43 minutes ago, ich777 said:

You have not answered the question, what CPU are you using? Without answering the questions no one can help you...

Intel 10700K

PEG = integrated graphics

PCIe = dedicated GPU

if PEG is integrated graphics, what is CPU graphics?

This can cause problems on some systems if you use a dGPU.

Tried to put a dummy plug on both but couldnt get the VM to boot. This worked for some reason that I honestly do not understand.

The easiest way to enable the iGPU is to install the Intel GPU TOP plugin from the CA App and also the GPU Statistics plugin from the CA App to see your iGPU utilisation.

(That only applies of you have a Intel system)

I also would recommend to bind you dGPU that you want to use in a VM to VFIO.

dGPU bound.

8 minutes ago, ishtangli said:

if PEG is integrated graphics

PEG is the pci express graphic slot. It's the same slot as pcie but with some differences to enhance the connection to the pcie graphic card (some mbs have a "dedicated" peg slot).

Edited by ghost82
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, ishtangli said:

if PEG is integrated graphics, what is CPU graphics?

CPU Graphics should be the way to go for you.

PEG = PCIe Graphics (sorry for explaining that wrong, actually my bad, I should learn to read...)

PCIe = PCIe Slot (means that you installed the graphics card in another slot than the first that is meant for the graphics card)

Tried to put a dummy plug on both but couldnt get the VM to boot. This worked for some reason that I honestly do not understand.

If you have a dGPU (dedicated GPU = NVIDIA GPU in a PCIe slot) installed and enabled the iGPU some systems will not enable the iGPU if no Monitor or dummy plug is installed to the iGPU.

dGPU bound.

Bind the PCIe Graphics Card to VFIO, that should do the triclockquote widget

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2021 at 7:20 PM, ishtangli said:

Turns out, iGPU Multi-Monitor is essential and what made the whole thing work. I tried to disable it and Plex stopped working.

I know this post is old, but thank you so much @ishtangli! This was the exact setting I needed to get this working for my system.

For background/reference:

The iGPU is used for Unraid when booting to see what all is going on and for an accessible console to log into, if needed.

I just recently bought an Nvidia GTX 1070 from a co-worker and was wanting to add a dedicated GPU to my Unraid server.

After struggling for a couple of days, enabling this iGPU Multi-Monitor setting in the BIOS (Asus Motherboard) finally did the trick! 🎉

Edited by Evolze
  • 10 months later...

Hi everyone ! I got this problem :

My system :

Asus Z690 P D4

i7 12700k

Quadro P620

16GB Ram

9208i

Got blikvm connected via hdmi to my mobo. When my Quadro p620 is connected to my first pcie slot, i got no video output on my pikvm from igpu. When i disconnect my quadro gpu, everything returns ad works fine. Where is the problem ?

thank you very much