Can't even boot the USB with the unraid to install it!

Hello.

I have the Aorus Master Z490 with  Intel i9-10900.

I installed unraid in a USB 3.1 Flash Drive Fit Plus 32 GB 200MB/s using the USB Creator with no issues, in my windows 10.

Then inserted the USB in the server. Detects it. I select the pen to boot. And goes to BIOS menu, don't run the unraid in the USB. I tried to change BIOS to see if I could do this. I spent 5 hours last night. I end up making BIOS itself not boot. I had to reset to the factory again.

This is a new build. I just installed all the hardware no software installed. I didn't installed windows in the server so i didn't installed the controllers of anything.

I can't find anything of this: 

"Your storage controller should support AHCI and SATA connections and be configured in standard HBA mode (not RAID mode).
Enable any and all virtualization support in your BIOS if your hardware supports it / you wish to create virtual machines (Intel VT-x / AMD-V).
Enable IOMMU support in your BIOS if your hardware supports it / you wish to assign physical PCI devices (GPUs, media controllers, USB controllers, etc.) to virtual machines."

I see that supports AHCI, but can't find any option regarding "HBA mode".

I don't find anything related to "Enable any and all virtualization" or "Enable IOMMU support".

Thank you very much.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:31 PM, JorgeB said:

Make sure UEFI support is enable in the USB creator, or manually rename EFI- to EFI on the flash drive.

Hello. Thank you for answering.

I can boot enabling UEFI in the USB creator. But doesn't load the GUI. Appears a black screen with a flashing "-" in the upper left of the screen.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

Are you booting in GUI mode?   If so can you access the GUI from another machine?  I am trying to determine if your problem is related to GPU drivers or is something else

I didn't try yet. So what should i do?

Load the Unraid OS (Headless)? and then later try the gui?

But now should I reset the bios again? I'm afraid if something have installed and now something is wrong again.

Thank you.

Just now, avirhel said:

Hello. I can access the GUI from another PC connected to the internet.

In the server is asking for the pass.

Thank you.

That is good news as it proves that UnRaid is basically booting successfully :) 

hopefully someone who has similar hardware might be able to give suggestions as to why you cannot get output on the local console.

12 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Did you try accessing the WebGUI from another machine?

When you try to boot in standard mode do you get the UnRaid boot menu?     When you then attempt to proceed do you get lots of messages flashing past as Linux tries to recognise the hardware environment?

Hello. Yes, when I try to boot in standard mode I get the UnRaid boot menu.

Yes I can access WebGUI from another machine.

When you then attempt to proceed do you get lots of messages flashing past as Linux tries to recognise the hardware environment?

When I proceed in headless mode runs and gets asking for pasword to login in the server that I named in the USB creator.

Thank you.

44 minutes ago, itimpi said:

hopefully someone who has similar hardware might be able to give suggestions as to why you cannot get output on the local console.

Thank you very much.

On 7/23/2021 at 7:29 PM, itimpi said:

Hello. I updated the bios. And now in legacy I can access GUI locally. But not with UEFI.
But every time I reboot goes to headless (first option) and then I can't access the unraid from other PC.
I have to remove the USB pen and place it again to identify it.

I can't use always the GUI locally? And use GUI at other PC at the same time if i want to? Can I reboot the server always in GUI locally? 

Thank you very much.

Edited by avirhel
1 hour ago, avirhel said:

Can I reboot the server always in GUI locally

Main, Boot Device,  Click on Flash.  Then SysLinux Configuration, and select the radio button next to GUI mode

But much of everything else you were saying doesn't make a lot of sense 🤔

Can anyone please explain to me how I should do things. I have just builded a PC/server. I want it to be a server and my PC at the same time. I will not have other PC to access it. I will give my current PC to my brother. I want that the server/PC be used to watch content in the TV's of the house. I want it to be my gaming PC as well.  So I will use legacy, because with legacy I can access all (GUI and not-GUI). Using UEFI I can't access GUI (goes to a black screen with a "_" blinking at the upper left corner of the screen.  So using GUI locally If i reboot i will always to choose the GUI or else goes to the first option ( non.GUI). IDK the best way to do this. I need to know the best way to do this. And then recommendations to test the hardware to see if there are errors. I'm afraid that I could have mounted wrong the CPU Cooler (regarding the amount of thermal paste). I need to know if everything is fine. But i can't get of this first step. Thank you.
At the moment I have 2 ssd nvme and 2 HDD (I want to test those as well before removing them from the box (they are WD elements)

Edited by avirhel
1 hour ago, Squid said:

Main, Boot Device,  Click on Flash.  Then SysLinux Configuration, and select the radio button next to GUI mode

Ok. this worked. Now boots in GUI (second option) Awesome 😄 (I think).

Now regarding the security. It's a web browser in the server. should I install some kind of protection? I will be sharing media as well. I have the malwarebytes and torguard vpn in my current PC.

Thank you.

29 minutes ago, avirhel said:

Ok. this worked. Now boots in GUI (second option) Awesome 😄 (I think).

Now regarding the security. It's a web browser in the server. should I install some kind of protection? I will be sharing media as well. I have the malwarebytes and torguard vpn in my current PC.

Thank you.

you should not use the browser used to run the GUI when booting in GUI mode to access the internet.

if you are also running then I assume you will be running a VM?    That VM should have the same sort of security software installed you would use on a normal PC.

12 minutes ago, itimpi said:

you should not use the browser used to run the GUI when booting in GUI mode to access the internet.

if you are also running then I assume you will be running a VM?    That VM should have the same sort of security software installed you would use on a normal PC.

Yeah 🙂 I will be running a VM. When I be able to buy the Nvidia GPU that is out of stock everywhere or with an insane price (RTX 3080 FE) 

I need to test the hardware. I know that there are plugins for that in unRAID. Can you please recommend them to me. Or a place for me to see?

Thank you. 

Edited by avirhel

Hello. I'm using Unraid GUI in legacy and is working fine now. I'm seeing this amazing video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcRwT7iHIcc&list=PL6MCtOroZNDDrb5qxxQnZNFYIUvKmpTWW&index=4
YouTube
Spaceinvader One
Unraid 6.9 - Install & Setup a New Server or Upgrade an Existing On...
I'm going to do Preclear to the 2 external HDD's WD Elements (14tb and 12tB) connecting them through USB. So i can see if they are OK.
I will do this only after I have the UPS tomorrow. Because will take more than a day doing it.
I want to test the memory, for that I'm going to use the Memtest86+
And for the CPU temperatures? I want to have certain that I did everything OK building all the components in the PC, including the amount of thermal paste. One strange thing I noticed was that the CPU temperature after I updated the bios reports lower (before was 49ºC and now is 37ºC). IDK if I can rely in this temperature measuring or should install some plugin.

I want to do some global testing to see if everything is OK.

Thank you very much.

Edited by avirhel