20 TB HDs incoming!

SpencerJ

On 7/24/2021 at 2:52 AM, SpencerJ said:

Start saving up 😛

I suspect It's gonna be a long while before those start showing up in retail (more than 6 months).

And even then I don't think that the 20 TB versions are gonna be a similarly great deal compared to their 10-18 TB brethren (as with the Expansion externals) if Seagate switches in those back to the SMR tech.

At least I haven't heard of them making any noises of developing SMR versions in the 10-18 TB range.

Edited by Lolight
2 hours ago, BRiT said:

How long would a Parity Check run for with a drive that size?

I'm using 8 TB drives now and really wish the Parity Chrck time could be cut in half somehow. I couldn't imagine it doubling in time and then some.

My 16TB parity array finishes in about 48 hours.

21 hours ago, StevenD said:

My 16TB parity array finishes in about 48 hours.

👀

I thought my 15 hour 10 minute parity check times were long. If they were any longer I'd definitely use that tuner plugin to split it across multiple nights. I run mine once a month.

What do you do?

2 hours ago, BRiT said:

👀

I thought my 15 hour 10 minute parity check times were long. If they were any longer I'd definitely use that tuner plugin to split it across multiple nights. I run mine once a month.

What do you do?

I use the tuner plugin.  I also only run it every other month.  It runs from 10PM on the first Sunday of the month to 6AM the next morning, and runs for either 6 or 7 nights.  Sometimes after 6 nights it has a couple of hours, or a couple of minutes.

However, for some reason, with the tuner plugin, it seems to take longer than if I were to just let it run straight through.

My parity checks also slowed down when I went from two HBAs for the array to one.  But, I really wanted to install a GPU, so I needed to free up a slot.  Now that I have switched to 40GbE networking, I can probably remove one of the 10GbE cards, install another HBA and split the array again.  HBA prices (like just about everything else) has gone through the roof. I only paid like $240 for the 9400-16i.

Edited by StevenD
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, StevenD said:

However, for some reason, with the tuner plugin, it seems to take longer than if I were to just let it run straight through.

That is strange - the 'runtime' quoted by the plugin should basically be the same as running it straight through as all the plugin is doing is applying pause/resume operations.

I guess one possibility is that you have some operations (e.g. overnight mover) running in parallel during the active periods that are slowing down the parity check speed?

43 minutes ago, itimpi said:

That is strange - the 'runtime' quoted by the plugin should basically be the same as running it straight through as all the plugin is doing is applying pause/resume operations.

I guess one possibility is that you have some operations (e.g. overnight mover) running in parallel during the active periods that are slowing down the parity check speed?

Yes, the mover does run overnight.  Unfortunately, I cant disable it for a week.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really bother me that the parity check basically takes a week.  It was problem for a while, as I was having some crashing. I had to reboot everything to fix the crash, which of course, cancels the parity check. My RTX 4000 was overheating and disappearing from the bus. I have improved cooling and solved that issue.

On 7/25/2021 at 12:10 PM, StevenD said:

Yes, the mover does run overnight.  Unfortunately, I cant disable it for a week.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really bother me that the parity check basically takes a week.  It was problem for a while, as I was having some crashing. I had to reboot everything to fix the crash, which of course, cancels the parity check. My RTX 4000 was overheating and disappearing from the bus. I have improved cooling and solved that issue.

I get about 24 hours for 12TB