Unmountable: not mounted

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

Did you run the xfs_repair from the command line or from the GUI?     If run from the command line you will get those symptoms if you omit that partition number.

I ran it from the command line and I used this syntax: xfs_repair -v /dev/sdi

I also used the gui with the command -nv but it did not fix anything. I will run the command again and attach a log here shortly.

All commands where run in Maintenance mode.

xfs_repair -nv.txt

Edited by ONI
1 hour ago, ONI said:

I ran it from the command line and I used this syntax: xfs_repair -v /dev/sdi

I also used the gui with the command -nv but it did not fix anything. I will run the command again and attach a log here shortly.

All commands where run in Maintenance mode.

xfs_repair -nv.txt 30.74 kB · 0 downloads

That command is incorrect!

It should have been xfs_repair -v /dev/sdi1 :( That extra '1' on the end indicating the partition is important!

Doing it from the GUI is much easier and less error-prone.

4 minutes ago, itimpi said:

That command is incorrect!

It should have been xfs_repair -v /dev/sdi1 :( That extra '1' on the end indicating the partition is important!

Doing it from the GUI is much easier and less error-prone.

Thank you I will try that now and reply back with my results.

Edit when you say from gui do you mean the command line inside of unraid? Or the Check disk option?

I used the command on the command line and I got this response: 

image.png.6a28982488884e55da51375de0afd9fd.png

Should I use the -L option or should I do something else first?

I have tried running the array again but the result is the same.

Edited by ONI
5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Also note that running it on the device will make parity out of sync, when you use the console always run xfs_repair on the md device, e.g., disk2 is md2.

So I should run xfs_repair on the parity drive too?

I tried to run the parity check and it’s now running at 600kb/sec so it will finish in 300 days lol…

1 hour ago, ONI said:

So I should run xfs_repair on the parity drive too?

You cannot as the parity drive does not have a file system. 

The comment was about the fact that if you run a repair against an array data drive using the command line then it is better to use the /dev/mdX type name rather than the /dev/sdX1 type name as the /dev/mdX type does not need the partition number to be included (avoiding a common error) and also (more important) updates parity as the repair runs so that parity remains valid.  It can also be run against emulated drives if needed.

1 hour ago, ONI said:

I tried to run the parity check and it’s now running at 600kb/sec so it will finish in 300 days lol…

This suggests you have some underlying problem - you are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your systems diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools->Diagnostics) taken while the system is showing the problem to your NEXT post.

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You cannot as the parity drive does not have a file system. 

The comment was about the fact that if you run a repair against an array data drive using the command line then it is better to use the /dev/mdX type name rather than the /dev/sdX1 type name as the /dev/mdX type does not need the partition number to be included (avoiding a common error) and also (more important) updates parity as the repair runs so that parity remains valid.  It can also be run against emulated drives if needed.

This suggests you have some underlying problem - you are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your systems diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools->Diagnostics) taken while the system is showing the problem to your NEXT post.

I had the diagnostic files attached on my first post. Regardless I rebooted my unraid pc and I put it into maintenance mode. The issue is still there so I made a new diagnostic file and attaching it to this post.

Just as an FYI I had this issue a few months back too (slow parity check) and I made a post about it here. I was told I had a bad SATA cable so I ordered new ones to replace all the drives. That seemed to fix the issue until now.

Thank you for all your help.

image.thumb.png.8419361bfae51ad2839082b330ad6acf.png

tower-diagnostics-20210725-1103.zip

The diagnostics show that you are getting continual errors (and resulting retries) on disk6.   There is no SMART information for this drive suggesting it has dropped offline for some reason. This can be as a result of a bad connection to the drive or it could be a problem with the drive itself. 

Note that a bad connection can result from a cable (either SATA OR power) not being well seated as well as from a dodgy cable!

You will probably have to power cycle the server to get that drive back online.  If you want to test the drive itself then the extended SMART test is the best way to do this.

Just now, itimpi said:

The diagnostics show that you are getting continual errors (and resulting retries) on disk6.   There is no SMART information for this drive suggesting it has dropped offline for some reason. This can be as a result of a bad connection to the drive or it could be a problem with the drive itself. 

Note that a bad connection can result from a cable (either SATA OR power) not being well seated as well as from a dodgy cable!

You will probably have to power cycle the server to get that drive back online.  If you want to test the drive itself then the extended SMART test is the best way to do this.

Thanks I will try that now.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:17 AM, itimpi said:

After running for about 12 hours it was still at 40%. That was when I went to sleep and I woke up in the morning with the following error:

image.png.b615be2343a0d547f4716884e1b746e6.png

I am still attaching the smart report in the hopes it retained some of the extgended scan. I am also starting another extended scan once my new PCIE SATA card arrives today. I am in the hopes that it might be that causing issues since its much cheaper and easier to replace than a 12tb HDD (also upgrading from a 6 port to a 10 port SATA card) and worst case scenario if it fails it still gives me room for 4 more drives.

tower-smart-20210726-1023.zip

Edited by ONI

I swapped the controller and the issue remains. Looks like I need to replace the HDD.

So I have two questions:

1) Will just swapping the drive kick off the rebuilt process or should I do something in advance?

2) I am planning on migrating the entire unraid server on another pc (newer hardware) will migrating the drives over and using the same thumbdrive for the license work or do I need to perform some special preparation?

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

The previous SMART test was interrupted, this is not a disk problem, make sure the disk is set to not spin down during the test.

Thank you, let me double check my settings and have it run again.

I transferred the drives to a new computer and used the same thumb drive for unraid. 

Everything is currently working fine and my speeds went up to 70mb/s during check. 

The check usually lasts 2 days so I will watch my performance and reply back here if things go back to how they where.