Mounting single disks in unraid with Unassigned Devices leads to same mountpoint?

Hi everyone, 

I just bought a terramaster D5-300 and attached it to my Unraid server via USB-TypeC cable. All five disks are recognized, and the 5-bay storage is not running the software raid (I mounted the bays in Windows, ran their software and removed any raid).

My aim is to mount 5 single disks in Unraid as I want to use the maximum space and don't care if I loose one disk (no redundancy required).

When trying to mount the NTFS formatted disks, they all and up having the same mount point, like this:

sdt          65:48   0  14.6T  0 disk 
└─sdt1       65:49   0  14.6T  0 part /mnt/disks/ST16000N_M000J-2TW103
sdu          65:64   0  14.6T  0 disk 
└─sdu1       65:65   0  14.6T  0 part /mnt/disks/ST16000N_M000J-2TW103
sdv          65:80   0  14.6T  0 disk 
└─sdv1       65:81   0  14.6T  0 part /mnt/disks/ST16000N_M000J-2TW103
sdw          65:96   0  14.6T  0 disk 
└─sdw1       65:97   0  14.6T  0 part /mnt/disks/ST16000N_M000J-2TW103
sdx          65:112  0  14.6T  0 disk 
└─sdx1       65:113  0  14.6T  0 part /mnt/disks/ST16000N_M000J-2TW103

When I try and change the mount point for one drive, it changes them for all drives. Why could that be and is there a way I can mount these drives as independent disks? In Windows (Computer Management), I was able to see 5 individual NTFS-formatted disks, however in Unraid, something isn't working quite right... I wanted to format the drives to XFS and mount points like

/mnt/disks/sdt1

Not sure where I took the wrong turn and still not entirely sure whether Unraid can maybe not get through to the individual disks through this terramaster enclosure with the raid (as all disks have the same serial number which is suspicious in itself...)

Thanks team!!

Edited by theunraidhomeuser
added link to enclosure

The Unassigned Devices plugin relies on the USB enclosure passing through different disk serial numbers for each device.   It appears that enclosure is not doing this which is why you are getting the results you see so it must be considered as being not compatible with Unraid.

• Thanks 1

Just for future visitors to this thread: the terramaster D5-300 works fine if you choose to use it in a RAID config, however for single disks, as mentioned above, it will not function reliably over time (you can get it working initially by formatting drives under Windows to NTFS but I wouldn't rely on this to be a safe or permanent solution).

Notice you try a solution to manual mount disks by filesystem fsid, pls keep going. If this route not success, then you may try flash the enclosure by different firmware route.

Several years ago, I buy two 5 bays Orico non-raid USB enclosure for Unraid, they use JMS539 or JMS567. In first test, both never pass reliability test whatever different USB controller or OS, it also not fully work with Unraid.

After months fighting, I finally fix the JMS567 one by flash different brand firmware ( also JMS567 ) and insert a VIA USB hub between them, then Unraid ( also other OS ) solidly work, this serve me 1yrs+.

- Unraid array or UD, work.

- SMART data read, work.

- Spinup / down partially work.

First check does USB ID: 152d:0567

image.thumb.png.c615c5e94ecb6a29024979da037afe99.png

Below are the example RAID enclosure, also use similar chipset

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=425

image.png.980e4c3a81b7279b1737d46694dfe6bc.png

** Take risk yourself **

The firmware which I use as below, only flash JMS567.

https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/s355bu33erm#driver-and-downloads

Don't touch SATA Port Multiplier JMB575 ( I never touch that,  but just note silverstone have Port Multiplier chips firmware for JMB394 )

Edited by Vr2Io
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Vr2Io said:

Notice you try a solution to manual mount disks by filesystem fsid, pls keep going. If this route not success, then you may try flash the enclosure by different firmware route.

Yes, I am testing now and will read / write to these mounts with non-critical data for a few days to see how robust this solution is. Key is that these IDs do not change.. why should they...

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem with my mediasonic probox using USB mode. When I use esata - it works fine. In USB mode the jmicron controller generates a fake serial number for each disk and it causes the same problem as listed above. The fake serial is unique, but unraid (or something) ignores the unique identifier at the end after the hyphen. Is there something I can do to fix this? I don't want to use this enclosure in esata mode, because I have to reboot the server every time to pick up the disks. Planning on using this as a removeable backup.

460512464_unassigneddevs.png.20ca3a3cb5d2770ec8ea1f3303ca67eb.png

1389922972_dev3extended.png.c31d8b0f256355dfb721bd2b54cae050.png

each disk is identified with the model then the serial (fake from enclosure identified by slot) -0:0 is slot one. -0:1 is slot two, -0:2 is slot 3, and -0:3 is slot 4.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.pc-pitstop.com/scsat84xb 

If unfamiliar with serial attached storage, keep these two terms in mind SFF-8087 = internal 6GB/s connections, SFF-8088 = external 6GB/s connections.

I also bought a dell perc h310 HBA raid controller flashed in IT mode (JBOD with no raid) from ebay (i would suggest buying a different model with external ports, I converted mine)

I used the HBA controller, two sff-8087 cables to get to an sff-8087 to sff-8088 adapter pci slot (this made the h310 have two external sff-8088 ports)

I then connected the 9 bay box with two SFF-8088 cables.

When purchasing the box, I specified that I wanted it set up with SFF-8087 to 4x sata cables and 8088 to 8087 adapter.

In the end I get one 6GB/s channel direct to each disk. The Dell hba is an 8x pcie card that provides 8 channels to the memory and cpu.

My disk performance doing a parity check is almost 1GB/s spanned across five data and one parity. 180MB/s per disk

Prior to that I had 2 port esata with a 4x pcie port multiplier card and two 4 disk boxes connected by esata - performance was 80MB/s per disk doing a parity check. The port multiplier card worked and was mostly reliable unless I put a seagate brand drive in the enclosure and didn't disable NCQ.

Prior to that I had the same boxes connected USB 3.0 with 40MB/s per disk performance from my old stablebit drivepool windows server.

In the last four years of upgrades, I have gained greater performance out of the same drives by changing my operating system and connection method. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions about the setup.

• Thanks 1