6700k motherboard suggestions

So I've just jumped the gun on unraid and so far couldn't be happier!! I un-retired my old 6700k and my asus maximus viii hero motherboard from the dusty box which it sat

bought a power supply, stick of ram and 3 8tb hdd's, and a Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD for 4 tuner TV though plex, we are cutting the cord you see, so very much a muti purpose deployment in the workings.

Anyway stuck it all together. Then decided if I was doing this I'm gunna do it right so bought my self a IBM ServeRAID M5110 HBA that I found at a reasonable price, preflashed in to IT mode

All was going great! Everything worked and unraid SURPASSED my expectations I bloody love it!.... 

Then my HBA arrived... 

Stuck it in, and nothing. 

No really nothing.. 

The pc won't EVEN post.

After a bit of Googleing I find a couple of posts mentioning some motherboards can be finicky with HBA's  And one post straight up saying one of the Other asus maximus vXXX hero boards also has the same problem with HBA's

Who would have thought, one of if not the most expensive balls too the walls motherboard for that generation doesn't like HBA's very frustrating 

so stick it in my main machine also a asus but one of the tuff boards based on a AMD ryzen 3800x am4 socket,and no problems at all, boots up, device manager sees it the drivers install 

Shit, well that's annoying. So my question is anyone else running a 6700k based system with either the same HBA or one similar and if so what motherboard do you have so I can literally buy the same one, I don't fancy buying up and opening a museum of old motherboards 😂 

Thank you muchly for your time and thoughts. 

👍👍👍

Edited by Puregreen59
  • Puregreen59 changed the title to 6700k motherboard suggestions
2 hours ago, Lolight said:

Can you clarify why you need the HBA?

My end game is to change from my old case to this https://www.servercase.co.uk/shop/server-cases/rackmount/4u-chassis/4u-server-case-w-24x-35-hot-swappable-satasas-drive-bays-6gbs-minisas-sc-4824/

So I have a confession to make..

Before unraid I was using Windows storage spaces, so the 2 hdd's I bought was to get unraid up and running so I can transfer everything and the other 4 hdd's, so we'll on my way to filling up my motherboard sata IO

Also the case has backplanes, so would be a shame not to use them 😁😁