carbon - Unraid X570 Workstation / Gaming build

Decided I'm far enough along in this project to break this build away from my fortytwo threadripper server build thread.  If you've not see that build, follow this link :)

My server build fortytwo, has acted as a fileserver, application server, and also some VM use... mostly headless windows VMs.

Carbon is different, carbon will replace my current 7700K build which has been a traditional workstation and gaming rig, I work from home nearly fulltime, like to game, and have been using it as a homelab for my computer science degree studies for the last 4 years.  I plan to use virtualisation daily, but with provision to run bare metal for some gaming activities that are currently anti-VM.  Docker will also get a workout, but more so for development purposes and running some handy tools.

As this build will be shutdown or put into standby when not in use, I felt more comfortable watercooling this build. 

Why not just a big ass noctua cooler? I would and have in the past, but space restrictions of moving to 4U make than an impossiblity, the 1950x has a NH-U9 which barely keeps up under load, the U14 it had previously (in a tower case) was great.

Availability issues gave me an extra 12 months of saving for a new build, so I splashed out a little, the build details are:

• CASE: Rosewill 4U RSV-L4500U 
  • CPU: AMD 5950x 16 core 4.9GHz beast
  • MOBO: Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
  • RAM: 64GB G.Skill 3200MHz C14 (4x16GB)
  • ARRAY: tbc
  • POOL: 4TB NVME 2x 980 Pro 2TB
  • NIC: Mellanox ConnectX-3 10GbE (carried over from old build)
  • PSU: EVGA P2 1000W (carried over from old build) RIP
  • PSU: EVGA G3 750W
  • GPU: Asus TUF OC Nvidia 3090

So enough of the text, lets see some pictures :)

Test fitment

image.png.e5f0d63c5f25ae45f14f5bf3acca3290.png

Designed a 3D printed bracket to allow the rad to sit  snuggly up top, with cables and watercooling passing below, this also allows for a mix of expelled hot air and cool air from intake for the rest of the system.

image.png.a35247a6229a8132583edbf1e95cd9b5.png

image.thumb.png.7241059cc3459028bcf9170f6f4687c8.png

Watercooling plumbed up, testing with the GPU from old build

image.thumb.png.0507b70ba4f6c960f96dfafca5ed9f2c.png 

Current state, 3090 installed, dead PSU replaced

image.thumb.png.6556dc03637bc8630b880514da73472b.png

Yes dead PSU, after 5 years my EVGA P2 1000W died.

It took a few hours of system instability to narrow it down to the PSU, initially I though it may have been XMP or mobo being to aggressive, but luckily I had a spare PSU to test with from a decommissioned build.

What a relief to know it wasn't a new component.

Just started the RMA process (7 year warranty!), hopefully I can get a replacement as it was otherwise a great PSU.

Watercooling parts:

Basically full house EKWB, their recent Magnitude CPU block was the only new part, everything else was from older decommisioned builds... lucky I'm a hoarder.

Hard line was out of the question, I wanted easy maintenance as I'm always shuffling components, I love the ZMT tubing, and had some spare.

I had some issues with mounting hardware (screws/bolts rounding), but EK sent replacement bits in under a week which is amazing considering I'm down here in Australia.

Anyway I think it has turned out quite well, I can pump the CPU on Prime95 with temps in check with quiet fan profiles.

Next steps are to do more stability testing, load up unraid and setup some VMs :)

Eventually the GPU will be water cooled also, block is in hand, but as there are no space constraints on this, I'm in less of a rush.

Edited by tjb_altf4
  • tjb_altf4 changed the title to carbon - Unraid X570 Workstation / Gaming build