USB BluRay Drive Creates Unstable System Condition

I'm new to unRAID and am having an issue with a Buffalo BU40N USB passed through to a MakeMKV docker, which in some circumstances appears to make the entire system unstable.  (I've tested the hardware on another platform, it's fine).  

Most recently, when loading a DVD, the drive seeks infinitely without mounting the disk (within MakeMKV at least).  I've also noted this behavior with a BluRay that it had difficulty reading.  Under these error read conditions the docker becomes unstable and then in turn the unRAID system becomes unstable.  The result is that I have to bring the server hard down. 

Involved docker is Djoss' MakeMKV FWIW, last item in the docker's logfile is "[s6-finish] syncing disks"...it hangs there when it becomes unresponsive.  Can't kill the docker through the GUI, bringing it down via CLI with docker stop/kill don't work.  Docker container is finally stopped via SIGKILL.  That said array won't shutdown via poweroff script at that point despite no locks on mounted volumes.  Notably when this condition occurs at least one CPU core is pegged with nothing else running.

Seems that this USB device creates an unstable system state.  DJoss graciously pointed me over to a support thread on the MakeMKV forum that references a very similar situation with Ubuntu: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25357&p=109149&hilit=hang#p109149

Unfortunately I'm not savvy enough to translate this to unRAID or indeed to even know if there's reason to believe there an overlap.  Any insights?

On 7/27/2021 at 3:24 PM, NDDan said:

I'm new to unRAID and am having an issue with a Buffalo BU40N USB passed through to a MakeMKV docker, which in some circumstances appears to make the entire system unstable.  (I've tested the hardware on another platform, it's fine).  

Most recently, when loading a DVD, the drive seeks infinitely without mounting the disk (within MakeMKV at least).  I've also noted this behavior with a BluRay that it had difficulty reading.  Under these error read conditions the docker becomes unstable and then in turn the unRAID system becomes unstable.  The result is that I have to bring the server hard down. 

Involved docker is Djoss' MakeMKV FWIW, last item in the docker's logfile is "[s6-finish] syncing disks"...it hangs there when it becomes unresponsive.  Can't kill the docker through the GUI, bringing it down via CLI with docker stop/kill don't work.  Docker container is finally stopped via SIGKILL.  That said array won't shutdown via poweroff script at that point despite no locks on mounted volumes.  Notably when this condition occurs at least one CPU core is pegged with nothing else running.

Seems that this USB device creates an unstable system state.  DJoss graciously pointed me over to a support thread on the MakeMKV forum that references a very similar situation with Ubuntu: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25357&p=109149&hilit=hang#p109149

Unfortunately I'm not savvy enough to translate this to unRAID or indeed to even know if there's reason to believe there an overlap.  Any insights?

bump...anything?

Bottom line, seems like USB attached optical drives might be able to make the system unstable...whole point of using dockers for me was isolation and underlying stability.  So far this is less stable than my Win10 and Win7 systems...