JBa rebuild problems (was Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array)

I have a 4 year old array which had a power supply failure yesterday. I went ahead and replaced the PSU and got the array back online. When it came online, one of drive started shows disconnected and it was probably due my mistake of disconnecting a drive. I reconnected every thing properly and the drive came back online. I followed instructions, started the array with 3 drives, stopped, and started the rebuild. Over the night, it stopped and the disk is now unmounted and mount button shows greyed out.

I have attached the diagnostics and would appreciate help on it. wmc-diagnostics-20210729-1001.zip

13 minutes ago, JBa said:

I followed instructions, started the array with 3 drives, stopped, and started the rebuild. Over the night, it stopped and the disk is now unmounted and mount button shows greyed out.

This is the puzzling part. Rebuilding the disk requires reassigning it to the same slot in the array. It has nothing at all to do with trying to mount it as an Unassigned Device.

Your syslog shows you starting the array with disk1 missing, and then Unraid mounts the emulated disk as expected, and in fact, system/df shows emulated disk1 mounted and with data.

Then, after that, you install Unassigned Devices plugin, which has nothing to do with rebuilding. It doesn't look like you ever stopped the array to reassign disk1 and restart, so no rebuild was ever started. I don't know why you thought rebuild had started.

Post a screenshot of Main - Array Devices.

The disk with serial ending LKJLC, which presumably should be assigned as disk1, isn't giving SMART report. Shutdown, check connections. Since you rebooted after the disk was disabled can't see what caused it, whether bad cable or bad disk, we don't know, but start by checking connections then post new diagnostics.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

This is the puzzling part. Rebuilding the disk requires reassigning it to the same slot in the array. It has nothing at all to do with trying to mount it as an Unassigned Device.

Thats what I did, I reassigned to the same slot and rebuild started and stopped midway in the night, I will try and post diagnostics as soon as I get home..

7 hours ago, trurl said:

Your syslog shows you starting the array with disk1 missing, and then Unraid mounts the emulated disk as expected, and in fact, system/df shows emulated disk1 mounted and with data.

Then, after that, you install Unassigned Devices plugin, which has nothing to do with rebuilding. It doesn't look like you ever stopped the array to reassign disk1 and restart, so no rebuild was ever started. I don't know why you thought rebuild had started.

-

I installed the unassgined devices plugin plus later, Unassigned devices plugin was installed long before.. 

7 hours ago, trurl said:

15 hours ago, JBa said:

If this is not the right place to post, I can post in the other forum too..

This is the right place to post, that's why I split your post out of that other subforum.

22 hours ago, trurl said:

The disk with serial ending LKJLC, which presumably should be assigned as disk1, isn't giving SMART report. Shutdown, check connections. Since you rebooted after the disk was disabled can't see what caused it, whether bad cable or bad disk, we don't know, but start by checking connections then post new diagnostics.

Looks like you completely skipped this post, since you apparently didn't do anything I suggested before getting those latest diagnostics.

Shutdown, check connections, all disks, both ends, SATA and power, including splitters.

Then post new diagnostics.

On 7/30/2021 at 9:55 AM, trurl said:

Thanks for your help on this.. I was able to figure out that  my brand new psu had a set of sata power supplies not working. I was able to to bring it back alive, by removing that psu and replacing with other, rebuilding the system. Now am looking to replace the entire system with a more reliable rack mounted server ( already have other av components on my server rack ) have a different thread on that..

On 7/30/2021 at 9:55 AM, trurl said:

This is the right place to post, that's why I split your post out of that other subforum.

Looks like you completely skipped this post, since you apparently didn't do anything I suggested before getting those latest diagnostics.

Shutdown, check connections, all disks, both ends, SATA and power, including splitters.

Then post new diagnostics.

7 minutes ago, JBa said:

I was able to figure out that  my brand new psu had a set of sata power supplies not working. I was able to to bring it back alive, by removing that psu and replacing with other,

A common error is assuming modular cables from one PSU will function in another. That typically results in burned out components. When replacing a PSU, you must replace all the modular cables as well, unless you know how to use a voltmeter to confirm proper function before powering up the system.

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

A common error is assuming modular cables from one PSU will function in another. That typically results in burned out components. When replacing a PSU, you must replace all the modular cables as well, unless you know how to use a voltmeter to confirm proper function before powering up the system.

I don't have a modular psu.. it was straight up attached power cables.. ( 2 of the 3 sata connectors on one cable were flaky ) .. dont ask how I found out ( it was a lot of guessing, replacing cables, swearing and late nights to figure that out .. ) this is a 80 gold evga power supply..