New HDD, Preclear failed, then ran Unraid smart test and it failed too

In the process of building my first Unraid server. Ran preclear once and one of the hard drives failed (Seagate Exos 18TB). So I ran Unraid short Smart test and it failed too. The drive that failed is new. Other than the preclear and Smart test error drive seems to work (e.g. I was able to format it). Is it possible to fix the error or should I be looking to RMA the drive? 

(I've attached smart report)

smart-20210729-1519.zip

Edited by JKunraid
added details
57 minutes ago, trurl said:

RMA

Sending RMA is a bit of pain. Can you elaborate on errors in smart log? Is it something that I need to fix right away or it something that a utility could mark a bad sector and play it by ear to see if more errors show up later (i.e. RMA it later if needed)

Using it as a drive in a typical non - RAID windows system it would possibly be ok.

The issue is in Unraid, every bit of every drive is valuable, as it will be used to rebuild a failed drive. All drives in the Unraid parity array must work perfectly, you can't afford to trust a drive with even seemingly minor issues.

I wouldn't RMA it, I would straight up return it for a refund and get another.

• 1 year later...

Funnily enough, I have also had the same issue. Although, I didn't preclean etc. It was working to begin with but within a week it failed with read errors. It then becomes disabled/not detected. At first I thought it was the slot in my caddy that I had it connected in as the switch for that slot was off, must have bumped it. So I tried another slot and rebuilt the drive and it failed again a few days later.

I am in the middle of processing an RMA for it as we speak. I am wondering if it has something to do with this type of drive? Only reason I bought it was because it was cheaper than the ironwolf range. Seagate also told me that they were designed more for windows storage/servers, but I couldn't find anything on the net which mentioned that. It is odd though as when i connect it to my main PC which is running Windows, it is detected and when I ran the extended test on SeaTools, it passed. I don't trust their diag tools. Have seen drives fail and other vendor diags consider pass the drive as working. Just annoying, I have crappy 2tb drives which I have owned for almost a decade and still going strong with no errors. I thought quality and integrity would have improved since then, especially around storage.

7 hours ago, plex said:

it is detected and when I ran the extended test on SeaTools, it passed.

Did you check the drive's SMART data?

What does it say?

What errors do you see?

Something like UDMA CRC errors in most cases are caused by bad/improperly seated SATA cables.

Seagate Exos drives work in Unraid just fine .

But here's a word of caution:

many of those drives are being re-sold as new, at sizeable discounts, by multiple third party vendors.

That's where it becomes tricky...