Anything special I need to do swap motherboard and CPU?

I have a server running unraid but am replacing the motherboard, CPU and ram. Reusing all existing components including drives and the LSI extension card.

Is this just a matter of shutting down, installing new hardware and rebooting? Will unraid handle this all seamlessly?

(If it matters, I’m switching from a Xeon E3 CPU and Supermicro motherboard to a Asus LGA1200 and Intel Core i5 10th Gen CPU)

I switched from a Xeon 1230v3 to a Ryzen 9 3900x, replacing the same parts as you.

Just update the BIOS settings regarding boot order, and virtualization/IOMMU if needed, and you should be good to go.

It was a pretty simple process (at least for me).

In any case I'd still suggest to make a backup of your flashdrive as well as your drive order, should anything go wrong unexpectedly.

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Turnspit said:

I switched from a Xeon 1230v3 to a Ryzen 9 3900x, replacing the same parts as you.

Just update the BIOS settings regarding boot order, and virtualization/IOMMU if needed, and you should be good to go.

It was a pretty simple process (at least for me).

In any case I'd still suggest to make a backup of your flashdrive as well as your drive order, should anything go wrong unexpectedly.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Turnspit said:

Oh, you might also wanna look at how you boot at the moment (Legacy/UEFI) and if the new motherboards still supports Legacy boot, if currently in use.

My new motherboard is this: Asus Prime H470 Plus CSM

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-H470M-PLUS/

I'm pretty sure on my current Supermicro X10SLM-F, I'm using Legacy boot and not UEFI.

I looked up manual of my new motherboard, and it says the following:

"The new ASUS UEFI BIOS is a Unified Extensible Interface that complies with UEFI architecture, offering a user-friendly interface that goes beyond the traditional keyboard-only BIOS controls to enable a more flexible and convenient mouse input. You can easily navigate the new UEFI BIOS with the same smoothness as your operating system. The term "BIOS" in this user manual refers to "UEFI BIOS" unless otherwise specified."

If new mobo doesn't support legacy bios, am I hosed?