Device disabled, contents emulated. Errors on 2 disks, but only 1 disabled.

Came back from dropping kids off at school to find my array in bad shape. One disk disabled with 34 errors, another disk with 2048 errors, but still running. I've got Dell T110ii with a LSI SAS 9207-8i connected to 4 2.5" drives (2 SSD, 2 10k HDD) and an Intel AXX6DRV3GEXP with 4 3.5" sas drives, and 4 3.5" SATA drives connected to MOBO. Pre-cleared all the disks when I got them. Attached diagnostics. The system was in heavy use when the errors occurred (transferring TBs of data from hdd cache to array). Could I be overloading the 305w power supply that came with it?

nasofbadi-diagnostics-20210730-0913.zip

Jul 30 07:44:05 nasofbadi kernel: sd 7:0:7:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Jul 30 07:44:48 nasofbadi kernel: sd 7:0:6:0: Power-on or device reset occurred

This happened to both basically at the same time, it's usually a connection/power problem, start by checking if those two disks have anything in common, other than the controller.

Those 2 disks are on the same half of the Intel AXX6DRV3GEXP, so I think they share the same power and HBA line. The connectors seemed to be good. The wiring to the Intel AXX6DRV3GEXP is pretty janky though. I have a SATA power splitter to a 1 to 2 sata to molex adapter, plugged into the back of the Intel AXX6DRV3GEXP.

Edited by badi95
27 minutes ago, badi95 said:

Do you think my 305w power supply is sufficient or does it need to be upgraded to handle all the disks I'm running on it?

Depends on the quality of the PSU. Wattage doesn't tell nearly the whole story. If you are talking normal consumer grade power supplies, I would be very worried about even a 500W rated unit with 8 3.5 drives and 4 2.5 drives.

3 minutes ago, badi95 said:

Suggestions for what I should get?

First.  Begin by measuring the physical size of the PS and see if it is a standard size.  Some OEM manufacturers use non-standard components to lock you in to using replacement parts from them!

Second, you are looking for a PS with a single +12V rail.  (Unless, you plan on installing a serious GPU card into your server, there is no need for a second rail.)  Look for a manufacturer with a known reputation for building a quality supply.   Allow approximately +2.5 amps per HD for the surge when the drives spins up.  (Unraid has several sets of situations when it will spin up all of the drives at once.  Be aware that Specmanship is the name of the name in PS wattage ratings.  (Usually the total wattage rating for +12V buss will be greater than 95% of the Total PS wattage rating.  Basically nothing left to run the CPU and MB!!!)   Buy for the future--  Does your case have room for more HD?  Do you see a need to be adding additional drives in the future?