**VIDEO GUIDE - Setting up a TrueNAS vm on Unraid with passed through disks **

SpaceInvaderOne

that is a great Tuto !

I have followed the entire steps and wa able to passthrough the HBA, setting up TrueNAS, creating the shares.

But when transfering files to the Share, I was only getting 140Mb/s. I checked an iperf3 with a windows VM and only got 1,4 Gbits/sec.

I checked and saw I had the virtio-net that I changed to virtio and then the iperf wen to 2,31 Gbits/sec

I then tested the Windows VM with the Unraid server and got 8,5 Gbits/sec

I do not understand why the virtual network between the trueNAS VM and the server is so slow

• 2 months later...

Love your videos SpaceInvaderOne.

I want to pass the disks directly to the VM. But I am unable to get TrueNas to install. I followed your steps, but keep getting the below error. It keeps going to these retries and eventually fails saying there was a page fault.

image.png.54ffb0bee3801d0eaec9f474147db7b4.png

image.png.e0137def54bc124102a99f6560b180c3.png

image.thumb.png.4b838a64bd16c7cde81c7ebd538b222b.png

Edited by GumGum
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/3/2021 at 1:14 AM, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Isn't it very risky and unsafe to put 4x 8TB consumer drives into a raidz1?

https://www.digistor.com.au/the-latest/Whether-RAID-5-is-still-safe-in-2019

Bit error rate (BER) in storage systems refers to the rate at which a block just cannot be read from the disk, due to not being able to recover data from the PRML (Partial-response maximum-likelihood) and ECC (error correct code) codes on the platter. The entire disk does not necessarily fail, but the read operation to certain block/s cannot be completed. In a RAID environment, this type of failure triggers a reconstruction of the block from the remaining disks. We can assume that B2 block written to Disk 1 cannot be retrieved correctly due to BER. This block’s data can only be reconstructed from blocks B1, B3 and Bp from other drives

If URE happens during the rebuilding of a failed drive:

Disk 1 failed

Disk 2’s C2 block URE

pic4.jpg

There is no way to recalculate both Cp and C2’s data only based on C1 and C3 blocks. The entire C stripe is gone!

Then is the last question: how likely that URE would fail the RAID 5 cluster rebuilding? Based on a calculation carried out in a blog (all results are verified by myself):

SATA disk (URE = 1e-14)

table1.jpg

In conclusion, for consumer faced SATA drives, the rebuilding successful rate is very low even for 4 bay SATA 5 array with 1TB disks. It’s nearly impossible to guarantee a successful rebuilding with this type of disk because of its too high URE. Another alarming fact about URE is: it has no correlation to the drive’s age.

Edited by Stubbs