My Servers Releases and Announcements

To kick off our new support forum for My Servers I'll reiterate the change log from our recent releases. Be sure to go to the Plugins tab and check for updates!  

Recent versions make significant improvements connecting to mothership and staying online, so hopefully we'll see a lot less "unraid-api restart" comments here. We've also added more functionality to the My Servers dashboard - you can now track each server's uptime and see the number of VMs that are installed and running. And of course knocked out several bugs.

Unraid 6.10 compatibility is also included, be sure to update your My Servers plugin before installing the upcoming rc. It is coming Soon(TM)!

Here are the full release notes:

## 2021.07.21
### This version resolves:
- Issues connecting to mothership
- Flash backup issues after uninstall
- Docker stats missing in specific conditions
- Unexpected disk spin up

### This version adds:
- Unraid 6.10 compatibility
- Streamlined communication between between unraid-api and mothership
- Ability to track server uptime on dashboard
- Ability to see number of VMs installed and running 
- Origin checks to unraid-api

## 2021.07.27
- issues with Local Access urls 
- issues booting when Internet is down

### This version adds:
- more Unraid 6.10 compatibility

• Like 2
  • ljm42 changed the title to My Servers Releases
  • ljm42 locked this topic

We've released My Servers plugin version 2021.08.25.1816, please go to the Plugins tab and check for updates!

## 2021.08.25
- "status code 500" on localhost in GUI mode
- unneeded warning icon in the UPC
- various issues with UpdateDNS.php
- add "Sign Out of Unraid.net" to the UPC dropdown for consistency with Unraid 6.10, which does not have a My Servers settings page.
- having links to "Unraid Forums" and "Join Unraid Discord", as they were causing confusion

### This version adds:
- new My Servers support URL
- uninstall improvements - when uninstalling the plugin it will now Sign Out of Unraid.net, disable remote access, and delete the local flash backup.
- flash backup only runs if the server is currently signed in

• 3 weeks later...

We've released My Servers plugin version 2021.09.15.1853, please go to the Plugins tab and check for updates!

## 2021.09.16

- minor privacy and security improvements

- unraid-api crashing in certain circumstances

- issues when there are more disks than the license permits

Note: Under certain conditions you may be signed out during install or reboot. If you are affected and sign in after 9/23 you will be good to go and won't trigger this condition again.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, we are actively troubleshooting an issue with My Servers. Your systems will show as offline / access unavailable in the dashboard until we can get this resolved. Thanks.

Sorry for the trouble today, things are looking stable and we'll be keeping an eye on it. If you are currently offline you can open a webterminal and type `unraid-api restart` to reconnect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...

We've released My Servers plugin version 2021.10.12.1921, please go to the Plugins tab and check for updates!

We resolved a few corner case bugs, along with adding compatibility with 6.10.0-rc2.

Note: Under certain conditions you may be signed out during install. Simply sign back in (and re-enable Remote Access, if desired) and you'll be good to go.

If you have trouble activating flash backup, there is likely an issue with DNS or a network firewall. Our goal is to expose these issues on the My Servers settings page, but for now please open a web console and type:

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.my.servers/scripts/UpdateFlashBackup.php

If it mentions DNS errors, we'd recommend going to Settings -> Network Settings and assigning 8.8.8.8 to your DNS server. If there are connection errors, you'll need to modify your firewall to allow connections from this server to backup.unraid.net on port 22 or 443.

## 2021.10.12

- broken settings page when there are DNS issues

- flash backup errors when there are DNS issues

- cannot read property 'sendCrashInfo' of undefined error

### This version adds:

- warnings during install when there are DNS issues

- Unraid 6.10.0-rc2 compatibility

• 3 months later...

We've released My Servers plugin version 2022.01.25.1819, please go to the Plugins tab and check for updates!

Thanks for sticking with us while we sort through the connection issues and keeping your server "online" in the My Servers dashboard. We updated mothership a few hours ago, and there are changes in this plugin release to take advantage of it. We'd appreciate if you could update asap, hopefully connections to mothership will be more stable going forward.

This release includes some enhancements to flash backup... if you've tried activating before and it failed quietly, please try again. It should now tell you why it couldn't activate.

And we have an exciting new feature coming soon, please keep an eye out!

## 2022.01.25

- issues connecting to mothership!

- unnecessary load when Docker health checks are processed

- flash backup spamming the logs when user is not signed in

- error messages when activating flash backup not being shown

### This version adds:

- compatibility with Unraid 6.10.0-rc3 wildcard certificates

• Like 3
On 1/25/2022 at 5:42 PM, ljm42 said:

hopefully connections to mothership will be more stable going forward.

Well it was a nice thought, but we are still clearly having issues. 

You are probably in a state where the webgui loads and initially your name is shown in the upper right corner, but after a second it is replaced with "Sign In". It pains me to say this but for now please turn off the unraid-api. At a web terminal type:

unraid-api stop

In this mode, Remote Access and Flash Backup should remain active, but you will see a "graphql is offline" error message when you click on your name in the upper right corner. 

When you visit the My Servers Dashboard ( https://forums.unraid.net/my-servers/ ) your server will be shown as offline and there may be "Network error: failed to fetch" errors as well, but you can still click the Local and Remote access links and you can still download your flash backups.

Unraid 6.10 users without the My Servers plugin will have no issues signing in or using the dashboard.

We are working hard to restore full functionality.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7
  • 3 weeks later...

TL;DR - We've released My Servers plugin version 2022.02.17.1746, go to the Plugins tab and check for updates!

Hey everyone, thanks for sticking with us. In short, the reason for the outage is that we ended up DDOSing ourselves. In certain circumstances, older versions of our clients were opening many (thousands) of connections to mothership and causing memory use to balloon and eventually crash.

But to be honest this was not completely bad. It showed us some shortcomings of the system before there was anything critical that relied on it. We have since hardened the system against attack (we now have the ability to block traffic early on, before it gets to the back-end servers) and we stripped out a websocket library (never use async iterators with websockets!), which was the source of the memory leak. So we have definitely come out of this stronger.

Another change is that we had to drop support for custom server icons. You can still define a custom icon locally, but it will revert to the default when shown on the My Servers dashboard. Hopefully we can find an efficient way to bring that feature back in the future.

Our ask to you is to please update your My Servers plugin and come on back :) Your server status will be shown correctly in the dashboard, and in most cases the UPC will be correct too (if your UPC server list has issues it will be resolved in a few days.) Once we've proven to ourselves (and to you!) that the system is stable, we'll release the new feature I teased previously. 

One more thing... many thanks to the community members who reported they were seeing excessive writes to the flash drive with flash backup enabled. We tracked this down to an unnecessary lock file that git was creating, we now run git with "--no-optional-locks" and those excessive writes are gone.

## 2022.02.17

- unraid-api making too many connections to mothership

- CORS issues with Unraid 6.10.0-rc3

- flash backup causing excessive writes to the flash drive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • 2 months later...

Hey everyone, we've got a new version of the My Servers plugin ready, please go to the Plugins tab and check for updates!

You'll definitely want to update if you plan to install Unraid 6.10.0-rc5 later tod... I mean Soon(TM). It also has some fixes for Unraid 6.9.2, so I'd recommend upgrading even if you aren't ready to run an RC.

Plus we've added another customization option for those of you that want more control over the look and feel of the header.

## 2022.04.22

- Incorrect urls being shown on the My Servers dashboard for Unraid 6.9.2

- UpdateDNS making unnecessary rebind test checks

- Flash backup log file getting unnecessarily large

### This version adds:

- Compatibility with 6.10.0-rc5

- Ability to disable the background fade the UPC places on your header image. This should only be used if your header image has a solid background, otherwise the text will not be readable. See Settings → Display Settings → Show banner background color fade

- Back-ported the version of updatepkg from Unraid 6.10.0-rc5, to prevent other plugins from downgrading the version of git that comes with Unraid

• Like 1

Hey everyone, we've released My Servers plugin version 2022.04.26.1740, go to the Plugins tab and check for updates!

## 2022.04.26

- Garbled text in diagnostics.zip - unraid-api.txt

### This version adds:

- `unraid-api report -v` improvements to help track down "invalid owner" errors and CORS issues

- Ability to restart the unraid-api from the UPC dropdown - if the UPC detects that the unraid-api has stopped, after 30 seconds a `restart unraid-api` option will be added to the UPC.

- Continued behind the scenes improvements

We are working through some issues on mothership, so don't be alarmed if you see "Not connected to mothership", "API Error", or other issues in the UPC.

On the My Servers dashboard your server's status may show as Offline and the array status may be incorrect, but the Local and Remote access links will still work as will the ability to download a flash backup.

If you continue to have issues, please update to the latest plugin

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, we've released My Servers plugin version 2022.05.10.1726, go to the Plugins tab and check for updates! If you are running a few releases behind, please take this opportunity to get caught up, in our next release we will increase the minimum version required to connect to mothership. Thanks!

## 2022.05.10

- conflicts with browser extensions interfering with registration popup window

### This version adds:

- compatibility with Unraid 6.10.0 IPv6 urls

- streamlined communication between the unraid-api and mothership. BTW if you are curious about the data being sent, see https://wiki.unraid.net/My_Servers#Privacy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, we've released My Servers plugin version 2022.05.24.1752, go to the Plugins tab and check for updates!

## 2022.05.24

- Some systems always offline or "Unable to connect to mothership"

- Removed GUIDs from `unraid-api report -v`, this output can be posted to the forums now

- Resolved some "Unraid.net re-authentication required" messages

- Resolved some "unexpected response for owner" messages

### This version adds:

- Significant reduction in the frequency of data being sent from unraid-api to mothership. Now most data is sent only when you are actually viewing the My Servers dashboard ( https://forums.unraid.net/my-servers/ ). BTW if you are curious about the data being sent, see https://wiki.unraid.net/My_Servers#Privacy

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, we've released My Servers plugin version 2022.07.26.1609, go to the Plugins tab and check for updates! 

The main goal of this release is to track down why some servers are still not connecting to mothership. We have tightened up a few potential bugs and added better reporting to get this figured out. We request that everyone update, even if you aren't having issues connecting.

## 2022.07.26

- Plugin install failures due to zero byte files
- Issues getting data from nchan, read from ini files when needed

### This version adds:
- Warn user not to close the installation window early
- Better logging if the unraid-api crashes
- UpdateDNS reports the status of the api
- Notifications in the UPC if the My Servers plugin is out of date
- Better handling of errors if "click to copy IP address" fails

Hi folks, the UD Preclear plugin was recently updated and on some systems this update requires a reboot.

If you have the UD Preclear plugin and are seeing any of the following:

• Unable to download diagnostics (from Tools -> Diagnostics)
  • Errors about GLIBC in your syslog (from Tools -> Syslog)
  • A message telling you the My Servers plugin is out-of-date even though you just updated it

then please reboot your server to complete the UD Preclear update. Things should start working properly once that is done.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the trouble with flash backup folks. Here is what is going on:

Some systems are having issues with flash backup locally, which causes them to repeatedly connect to our backup servers in the cloud. Enough systems are doing this that it is overwhelming our backup servers causing problems for other systems trying to connect, which in turn makes them repeatedly try to connect, which just exacerbates the problem. We have already tripled the number of cloud servers but some people are still experiencing problems.

We are working on a plugin update that will limit how often each server tries connecting to the backup servers in the cloud. Once enough systems update to that version of the plugin the working systems will be able to connect and start storing their backups again.

Additionally, the new update will do a better job of showing certain error states, so we can tell at a glance if those errors are happening, which will make resolution easier. For some errors we'll still need to see your /var/log/gitflash file to diagnose. As we help people with those issues we look for ways to have the plugin display an appropriate message or even resolve the issue automatically.

So in the short term what can you do?

• Make a manual backup of your flash drive by going to Main -> Boot Device -> Flash -> Flash Device Settings -> Flash Backup
  • If your flash backup is not working and you are bothered by log messages or extra network traffic, go to Settings -> Management Access -> My Servers and Deactivate your flash backup for now. You can re-activate after the new plugin is released.
  • If you suspect that your flash backup is one of the systems causing problems, you can "Reinitialize" it from that same screen. That basically wipes the backup and starts fresh.
  • Install the new plugin ASAP when it is released (probably next week)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just a heads up - we'll be rolling out an update to mothership tomorrow morning Aug 26 starting around 4-5am Pacific time. We are expecting 30 mins of downtime or less, but if you see anything odd during that time that is probably the reason.

Success in less than 5 minutes! No action is needed on your end, but if you are seeing any errors in the UPC running this in the web terminal may resolve them:

unraid-api restart

• Like 1

Hey everyone, we've released My Servers plugin version 2022.09.01.2208, go to the Plugins tab and check for updates!

This release has multiple Flash Backup improvements to address the issues mentioned here https://forums.unraid.net/topic/112073-my-servers-releases/#comment-1163024

Please update to this version ASAP to help reduce the load on the backup server, after enough people have updated we expect most will be able to connect again without problems. We are also surfacing better messages on the My Servers Settings Page to help when there are problems.

We have also made some improvements to the API that should help with connections to mothership, but there is still more to come on this front.

## 2022.09.02

- Behind the scenes improvements to the unraid-api

### This version adds:

- The unraid-api will be restarted automatically if it stops

- Improved logging submitted by UpdateDNS to help track down issues

- Flash Backup - warn when signing out that flash backup will be disabled

- Flash Backup - better display of error states

- Flash Backup - add rate limiting so systems with issues do not waste resources trying to connect

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, we've released My Servers plugin version 2022.09.21.0905, go to the Plugins tab and check for updates!

This release improves the installation routine. If you are on a flaky network and a download fails you can simply try the upgrade again, nothing on your system is modified until all files have been downloaded and verified.

We continue to track down flash backup issues. The system will now automatically try to recover from issues after being in an error state for three hours, rather than waiting to be triggered by another file getting updated.

And we've got another round of changes to help the Unraid API make and maintain connections to Mothership.

Also, a gentle reminder that we'll soon be dropping support older versions of Unraid, please upgrade to 6.10.3 or 6.11.0 ASAP: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/128328-my-servers-dropping-support-for-older-versions-of-unraid/

## 2022.09.21

- Installation issues related to failed downloads. Now no changes are made until everything has been downloaded and verified.

- Unraid API connection issues. It should now reconnect more reliably if it gets disconnected from Mothership.

- Removes some instances of the UPC reporting "unexpected owner"

### This version adds:

- Flash backup status is submitted by UpdateDNS to help track down issues

- Flash backup will try recovering from an error state automatically every three hours

• Like 2

Hey everyone, we've released My Servers plugin version 2022.09.27.0920 with some bug fixes and improvements, go to the Plugins tab and check for updates!

## 2022.09.27

- Plugin install issues when gzip is not available

- Flash Backup not processing when there are stale lock files

- A source of "Unexpected response for owner" in the UPC

- Array status changes not being reflected on the My Servers dashboard

• ljm42 changed the title to My Servers Releases and Announcements

Please head over to the Plugins tab and check for updates, My Servers plugin version 2022.09.28.1258 is available with a fix for systems that don't have network access during bootup. You'll want to grab this before you reboot (or affected systems will have to reinstall after rebooting)

## 2022.09.28.1258

- Installation problems when the network isn't available at boot

• 1 month later...

Hey folks, you'll want to head over to the Plugins tab and check for updates, My Servers plugin version 2022.11.02.0859 is now available. We've made several stability improvements to the My Servers Client as well as to Flash Backup.

If you are having issues with Flash Backup being rate limited or saying "failed to sync", go to Settings -> Management Access -> My Servers and deactivate your flash backup, then check the box to “also remove remote files”. This will completely wipe your flash backup and let you start fresh.

## 2022.11.02.0859
- My Servers Client (Unraid API) crashes with unexpected values in myservers.cfg
- `unraid-api report` crashes when network unavailable
- excessive DNS lookups
- excessive delays at boot if DNS is unavailable (there will still be a delay, but it is less)

### This version adds:
- Flash Backup - improved messaging for certain errors
- Flash Backup - ensure the backup script can only run once at a time
- Flash Backup - allow user to fully delete both the local and cloud copies of their Flash Backup
- My Servers Client (Unraid API) must be connected to My Servers Cloud (aka Mothership) for initial setup of Remote Access and Flash Backup features. Soon a recent connection will be required to use those features as well.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone! We're aware of some performance issues with the My Servers Servers, we're doing our best to fix the problems and get it back up to optimal performance as quickly as possible.

You may notice that if you just created a My Servers account you may have difficulty connecting. This is due to an internal issue we're working to resolve. Most user accounts should be unaffected otherwise.

EDIT: The issues have been resolved. Thanks for your patience!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks, you'll want to head over to the Plugins tab and check for updates, My Servers plugin version 2022.11.29.0742 is now available. We've made another round of stability improvements to the My Servers Client as well as to Flash Backup.

Speaking of flash backup, we are running a regular process to delete old cloud backups from our server. So far we are being cautious so as not to delete something that you might still want, but the Settings -> My Servers page will now show you if you have files on our server and give you the option to remove them yourself (assuming you have disabled flash backup) before our automated systems do.

Troubleshooting flash backup:

* We tweaked our firewall detection routine, there should be no more false positives with "Unable to connect to backup.unraid.net:22", if you still see that message then you need to investigate what firewall is preventing your server from making an ssh connection to backup.unraid.net on port 22. For instance, Ubiquity flags this communication as an "Attempted Information Leak" and you'll want to ignore that.

* If you see "DNS is unable to resolve backup.unraid.net" then go to Settings -> Network Settings and set your DNS server to a non-blocking DNS provider like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1

* If you see a "failed to sync" error message, or anything saying "error" or "fatal", choose the "Deactivate" option (and delete from remote) then "Activate" to start fresh.

## 2022.11.29.0742

- several corner cases that could have prevent a successful install

- no array size shown on dashboard after a reboot

- multiple Unraid API instances running at once

### This version adds:

- ability to delete your flash backup files from the cloud

- do not suppress the underlying problem when flash backup is rate limited

- reset flash backup errors when plugin is updated

- remove flash backup "reinitialize" option, is replaced by deactivate/activate

- new method of detecting flash backup firewall issues

• Like 4